New Magna Glide Bobbins

I just received an e-mail from Fil-tec announcing the release of Magna Glide bobbins in colours to match their thread. Interestingly there are colours shown in the e-mail announcement that do not appear to be available for sale. Perhaps they will come later.

Sue

www.bobbincentral.com

I just received an e-mail from Fil-tec announcing the release of Magna Glide bobbins in colours to match their thread. Interestingly there are colours shown in the e-mail announcement that do not appear to be available for sale. Perhaps they will come later.

Sue

www.bobbincentral.com

I checked them out as well when I got the email. Looks like there are only 11 colors up on the site for sale right now. Maybe they are updating.

Another question--the regular magna-glides hold 130 yards. These new ones only hold 74 yards. Obviously thicker thread, but that would need to be taken into account when figuring thread charges. The new Glide Delights are almost exactly twice the cost per yard of the old MGlide bobbins. I'm sure I will try some out though--I love the red Glide! Hmmmmmm.

I checked them out as well when I got the email. Looks like there are only 11 colors up on the site for sale right now. Maybe they are updating.

Another question--the regular magna-glides hold 130 yards. These new ones only hold 74 yards. Obviously thicker thread, but that would need to be taken into account when figuring thread charges. The new Glide Delights are almost exactly twice the cost per yard of the old MGlide bobbins. I'm sure I will try some out though--I love the red Glide! Hmmmmmm.

I got the email, also. These new bobbins have the glide thread on them so it makes sense there would be less yardage per bobbin because the thread would be heavier than the bobbin thread on the magna glide. It would be interesting to know how many yards of glide would go on a self-wound bobbin. Anyone up for a challenge? :D

I got the email, also. These new bobbins have the glide thread on them so it makes sense there would be less yardage per bobbin because the thread would be heavier than the bobbin thread on the magna glide. It would be interesting to know how many yards of glide would go on a self-wound bobbin. Anyone up for a challenge? :D

I got the e-mail, too, and when I went to look at the "48 colors", there were only a few shown. Sounds like a good idea, but if they have tha much less thread, then I'm not so sure. Maybe for a special project they would be nice to use. I love the Magna Glide bobbins, but will give the new ones a try one of these days.

I got the e-mail, too, and when I went to look at the "48 colors", there were only a few shown. Sounds like a good idea, but if they have tha much less thread, then I'm not so sure. Maybe for a special project they would be nice to use. I love the Magna Glide bobbins, but will give the new ones a try one of these days.

I recently used Glide and also wound the bobbins with matching thread on a quilt. The thread was awesome and the tension stayed perfect. Seemed like the bobbins went almost as far as when I wind Bottom Line. Didn't measure the yardage though. jeri

I have recently used the Glide on at least 5 quilts - wound my own bobbins with the glide also. The look was awesome! I love the sheen and the colors are terrific. Haven't tried the pre-wound Glide bobbins but if I can get them in my favorite colors I'm in. No tension problems with the Glide on top and bottom!

We will be adding more colors of the Delights to our site today. Just trying to add them as we make them so we do not confuse people and not be able to ship their order right away. I understand how important yield is, and why quilters like the original Magna-Glide. The problem with this bobbin is that the yarn is so fine, it is extremely difficult to dye consistently and this ultimately affects the way the thread delivers off of the bobbin. Our Delights bobbins deliver much more consistently. Yes, they do not have the yield, but you should see flawless tension to the last stitch. We also cannot get ideal color matching for thread and bobbin when using such a fine-sized bobbin thread as it has a dull look compared to the sheen of glide. We will soon be launching our expanded color line in Premo-Soft which is a poly wrap core thread which has the benefits of polyester, but the look of cotton. Same raw yarn as "So Fine."

Archived