Millie is on her way!Wahoo....

Thanks everyone...no sleep last night. Wheels are just turning. I want to set up my sewing room differently than what I had before but I have two supporting poles in the middle of the room at about 6' apart which makes it awkward and the ceiling is only 6'4" which means no tall people plus the duct work is in the middle of the room as well which makes that part of the ceiling even lower. Maybe I will get DH to build me an addition at the back of the house LOL:D:D

Once I have it all done I will try and post pictures...my computer skills are all self taught and I am not really computer savy. It's all greek to me:P:P:P I get by but that's about it.

Marlene,

LOL just like when the baby gets there...no sleep! I too have a supporting beam in my basement studio, but thankfully only 1. I keep playing with how to change that room around and I'm getting ready for yet another version of it. Maybe next week while my DIL is here to help me reorganize it. I've got an idea of what I think will work but you never really know until you get it there. I don't like to feel cluttered and right now I feel very cluttered! Looking forward to seeing your pictures posted. Maybe I'll get some more ideas.

Gees Heidi,

Do yours first, then I can get ideas from you.:D:D Our house is 18' x 35' long (and those are outside dimensions). Not big by any stretch of the imagination. You can just imagine how I feel down there, long, narrow and low ceilings.My sewing room is approximately 16 1/2 x 19. I thought of putting mirrors on the ceiling.,,:P:o:P and I seriously think I will paint it white... yeak....for someone that loves colour..white? It would definately look clean. Oh well, not quit there yet so I have time to change my mind at least a few times.

I'll be waiting for your pictures Heidi...;) By the way what kind of lighting do you have in your studio?

Marlene,

I too am "down there" I am short so lower ceilings are fine. I LOVE my footings (posts) My machine is in front of them so when I get there I lean back against them instead of hunched over. It keeps me from always being in the same position. Now for the duct work. Use it to your advantage . Right above my machine is duct work and if I look up I see the quilt I most want to do. Then on the rest are usually sketches of things I am doing on the quilt or ones I am working on or future. I also have magnets on all my little scissors and they attach overhead. I am never sewing over those. I only hate the basement after going to Linda N. studio in Seaside, OR. Otherwise I am cozy and happy and my laundry is done!

Have a great time

Melora

Great idea Melora. Once it is all gutted I will probably come up with even more ideas. I also have a corner gas fireplace which is really nice but then again, it limits me as to how to set up this space. It will come to me. I will have to try different set ups. It will be much easier to move stuff around as I will have laminate flooring.

Well off I go, down to the dungen....taking more drywall down. yuk....:mad::(

Hey gals! DON'T move all that furniture and machines and risk hurting your back! Get out your metal measuring tape, graph paper, ruler, pencil and eraser. ;)

Measure and draw the perimeter of your room to scale; 1/4" = 1', OR 1/2" = 1'. Mark all electrical outlets, doorways, windows etc.

Then measure all the pieces you want to put into the room and draw them out on another piece of graph paper. Write the description on each piece; desk, bookcase, machine, batting rack etc.

Cut out each little piece and start playing with them on your "room" page. Move them to your heart's content and you'll come up with the perfect floor plan without any blood, sweat OR tears! :) You can get repositionable tape, like the white out applicators to make things stay put until you want to move them around.

I can't take any credit for this idea. My daddy was a builder and he taught me how to do floor plans in my early teens. Sure do miss him!

Thanks Darlene,

It's a great idea. I have done that many times before and it does work. I need to downsize. Too many machines and desks and not enough storage. My cutting table fell apart today while I was trying to move it. :D:D. Oh darn, It has paid for itself many times over and I knew it was on it's last legs so to speak...

Guess I am just way too excited and I am trying to figure out everything all at once. I need to slow down and relax....ya. right:D I'm sure everything will fall into place;)

Archived