Photo on Today's APQS Daily News

Joan,

I am the guilty culprit who quilted the swatch you see in the Newsletter.

Jim Langland sketched his interpretation of a Leonardo da Vinci drawing on to Ricky Tims fabric using a chalk pencil. I then had my way with the drawing, using his outline as guidelines and then adding my own interpretations of the shading normally provided by a pencil on the paper.

The wider lines were accomplished by stitching repeating lines right next to each other, over and over. The only thread that I had which would complement the Ricky Tims fabric was chosen not for its stitching properties, but for its color! I couldn't find another shade in my stash that I liked as well. It was a coppery-colored Rheingold Polyester thread that I purchased several years ago while teaching at Innovations. The snapshot on the newsletter does not show the quilt's border, but the border was stitched with Rainbows thread, as was some of the background quilting areas.

This is one of the quilts I specifically chose to finish while I was "beta testing" the Bliss Drive System, since I knew that I wanted to be able to re-trace my stitching very close together and on a diagonal---the Bliss was the perfect tool to accomplish that.

Jim has two more sketches for me to quilt...another botanical scene and a madonna and child. Still looking for the right thread, however! Glad you like the piece!

Geepurz Dawn,

Come up this way, would ya and teach me a thing or two...LOL . That is so beautiful! Someday, I would love to try that although I can't draw worth a hoot...Perhaps you can ask Jim if he could/would sketch something for me to do....LOL

Both you and Jim are so blessed being so talented. Can't wait to see the others!!!

Dawn

That quilting is fabulous, but I have yet to see anything of yours that is not!!!!:cool:

I just bought a membership to QNNTV.com and am enjoying seeing some of your quilts on older episodes of Fon's and Porter and seeing you as a guest on Quilt Central:)

You haven't aged at all but the hairdo lets us know what decade it was;). Thankfully we don't have to use so much hairspray nowadays!!!

Lisa:)

Archived