good beginner gadgets

You don't need any right now. Spend your time practicing. Quilt with SR, without, slow, fast, large stitches, small stitches, front of machine and back. Quilt as much as you can and often. PPP!

My 2 cents!

Then think about the gadgets, unless you are itching to spend $$. I do like to spend!

Then get a Hartley base w/ rulers.

Excellent reply, Cheryl!

No amount of rulers and other gadgets can replace just getting on the machine and practicing to get our motions smooth and consistent. Too many times we think that if we just have more "toys" then we will be better quilters, but it doesn't usually happen until we have the basics down first and are comfortable with moving the machine. Then we can use all of those wonderful gadgets as an aid to what we are quilting. There just isn't a replacement for good and focused practice. When you take a class or buy a new quilting book put on a practice piece and practice on that technique. And above all - have fun with practicing.

I'd check with one of the technicians at the factory about how those needles differ from the ones supplied with your machine.

I know one lady who used them and moved the machine a little before the needle was up and had to replace the hook assembly. She said if those needles weren't so tough she'd only have a broken needle!

Sue in Australia

How about as you PPP and come up against something that you want to do and can't either make something that will do it for you or search for a gadget that will allow you to. I have made a number of tools that work for me for what I want it to do. 1/4" plexiglass is available at our local hardware store and they will cut basic shapes that I can sand or file to the shape I want. Of course it is more fun to find the tool ready made to work the way I want it to but that doesn't always happen.

Hmm I wonder what I am doing differently then. I am using the titanium needles and still having to replace them at best every top, somtimres more than once in a top. I start seeing the wadding bearding to the back and I thought that meant a blunt needle. Am I misreading the signs? Is there something I might be doing to blunt my needle quicker?

Ferret

Hi Barb,

I echo the PPP; bond with your new machine and get to know her/him. Have you named it yet?

There are always new gadgets coming out so it is good to ask!

To give you the shortcut to gadget purchases, I met the gals from OffThe EdgeQuilting.com at the Plano show last week and was really impressed with their products. First saw the article about them in Quilting Professional so wanted to be sure to find them.

I purchased the base plate to end the "bump" bump" I've been experiencing with my Millie when I use my plop and drop acrylic templates. They will mail it to me very soon.

After the show, I pulled out all my rulers and will be selling some on consignment at our guild garage sale in September. I plan to purchase new ones from Mari-Lee and Michele. Their circles are nice with the center hole to put a finger through to help stabilize it. I love the "KEY" feature on their other rulers to help you place the ruler exactly where you want your stitched line to start and end. They showed me their newest ruler, the Soft Wave with its helpful markings so that's on the list too.

Best of luck to you and just be consistent in your practicing. Even if you can't get to the machine, be sure to doodle everyday in a notebook. It comes in handy later.

Allison C. Bayer, Plano, Texas

Allison's Machine Quilting

Established 1997

Milliennium on 12' table

Thanks for your advice everyone. I put some practice in the last few days just working on loops and swirls and stars and hearts. Need to work on feathers, beginning to wonder if I will ever get those right. Thinking of buying a bigger dry erase board too. It's really funny, I was making rows of loops and you could tell my directions. When I was going right, all the loops lean toward the right, and vice versa. It looks quite funny actually!!! LOL. I am really excited as I am taking a class from DeLoa Jones in Septmber. One is my maintenance class and another on stippling and fillers! Can't wait!!!! I am also really, excited to get away for a couple of days. I have three boys here at home, four if you include DH and I could use a rest!

Hi Barbann03:

www.Gadgetgirls.com has excellent choices for rulers, but I suggest you check out type you prefer to work with. I have a wavy ruler and one that is straight for cross-hatching. Make sure whatever you get, to put the sandpaper dots on the back to help hold it in in place on the quilt :)

Most quilt magazines have dotted designs to use for quilting. Since you are on a tight budget, as I am too, recycle the plastic insert that bacon comes on in a package. Wash with hot water and let dry. You can trace your design on the plastic, then using either an exacto knife or ice pick, can make your design for future use. Use either the Mark-B-Gone blue pen or chalk to mark with. :P If you have a larger design, tape two of the plastic inserts together. :)

I made the mistake of buying a lot of stencils, most of which I don't use, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.:( www.thestencilcompany.com The Stencil Company will send you a catalog.

Check your local yard sales, many people buy items in quilting and only use once or twice. Then you'll find some great bargains.

Good luck in all that you do.

Keep smiling, Lyn:cool:

I love stencils. I have a hard time with custom and freehand, so sencils work great for me, and they are cheep. I have found that I need to use Miracle Chalk with the stencils. Can't get regular white chalk to stay in place. I have heard that you can mist the fabric with water, lightly, then the chalk will stay put till the water dries. I tried that and misted too much then had a terrible mess on my hands. I have also tried black light chalk, but haven't had much luck with it either. I have never tried blue chalk - read too many horror stories. Blue markers work very well too, as long as they are water soluble or air erase.

Bekah,

The extended base is used when you work with rulers, or you need a solid surface. If you were to use a ruler without the base, your quilt would be too "bouncy" and would push down. When you put the base on your machine it will give you a flat surface against the back of your quilt so that you can work on the quilt top with a ruler or stencils or whatever. You slip the base over the throat plate area of your machine, so it is under the quilt - against the back of the quilt. It should just slide right on. You can see a picture of it on the APQS home page then click on base expander. I only use it when I am using rulers or whatever. It gets in the way when I am just doing an all over design. I hope this helps. It is so hard to explain it like this.

Hemostats are wonderful for grabbing those thread ends that get tangled around the hook assembly. They are great for the convential machine too. Just plain grabbing threads that slide through our finger tips and nails when we just happen to be ripping out stitches. I have 3 pairs for doll making. My favorite for the machine is a small pair with curved tips.

Every seamstress should own a pair.

Chery Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

• 2 weeks later...

Archived