#2 - How would you quilt this?

Ok, this is quilt #2 that I just got in. It is a king size quilt and the customer wants it to be "special" because it is a quilt for her daughter to celebrate her marriage. I'm really stumped because there are so many pieces!!! No large spots to do much quilting in. Here are a couple of pictures.

2002812200094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

2002829780094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Any suggestions? I think that I'm brain dead cause nothing but CC's come to mind. Thanks again for looking and helping me out here.

I'm looking....I'm looking.....

You're not brain dead, PJ--it's just that there is toooooo much going on!

Can you isolate a block where you can actually see some kind of pattern--there are so many pinwheels butted up against everything, it's hard to figure out the actual design. Pretty colors, though!:)

(also, does she want to know that in the first photo --the two center pinwheels? One is spinning the wrong way--sigh.)

OK-here's a thought. The plain center block that is surrounded by the four pinwheels--makes an octagon shape--that's your "block" to quilt on. The adjacent goosey block--also an octagon--is the matching block to quilt on. Those two block sets share that dark square. That's the only pattern I can see.

Figure out a big design to quilt in all those octagons--a feathered or ferny wreath, a big round rose or other flower--anything round. Quilt them all the same. Stitch a fancier CC design in those dark separate squares. You will have partial round blocks on the edges and corners--just do half round and quarter round designs to match the whole blocks.

Then drag a compatible design out to the border--if the narrowest border is small enough to leave unstitched, just SID. The next one cries for feathers, ferns or flowers to match the body. And that linear print on the edge--piano keys or course! Made for that one!

That was fun!!

Pics please when you finish it!

Wow that is crazy! I see trees for whatever reason. The brown/rust fabric looks like a trunk and the green hst looks like the leaves. I think I would do straight lines in the rust and then cc the green. Stipple down the off white. In the Pinwheel area maybe some curved cross hatching in the tan and a swirl in the middle of the pinwheel. No idea what that will look like but those are the two things I'm seeing.

In some ways, this quilt looks African in design to me. The squares that are made of the border fabric have pinwheels on each side. Maybe you could do something fun with those, such as spirals on the pinwheels connected with straight lines through the square. Then do a similar quilting pattern on the border fabric.

thanks everyone - lots of good ideas. I'll have to do some studying and see where I can get those wreaths in. My customer suggested ferny leafy things, so I'll probably do something along those lines.

Linda - You have the eyes of an eagle, cause I've been looking at that quilt all afternoon and I didn't catch the pinwheel going the wrong way. I don't think that she will care as she wasn't thrilled with this quilt cause her daughter picked out the pattern and fabrics and she wasn't crazy about any of it!!!

Linnea Marie - Your drawing is just fine. I get the idea and I like that too.

I'm going to sleep on this tonight and I'll ponder this tomorrow with a clear mind and hopefully a good nights sleep.

Patty Jo,

I see the "goosey" block as a large, on point block. How about starting with several circles in that block, really making it stand out and put some beautiful feather motif in the center white area.

If you look closely, then the other block is no longer a block, but more like interesting sashing.

That's how I'd start anyway, and then let the ideas flow from there.

Jess

thanks Jess - Linda S was here this morning and she came up with the same ideas right along with you. So I'm thinking that the pinwheels will be the sashing and just do Terry Twists in them because the centers of the pinwheels are quite thick and I don't want to break a needle doing anything too elaborate in them. And maybe I put a small wreath in the gold & yellow squares. The "Goosey" blocks will look good with a large wreath probably doing a leafy type thing in them.

Bekah - I'm going to be using my GPS to get through this one as it is a confusing quilt for sure. I think that I'll chalk in circles before it goes on the machine so I don't get lost too bad.

thanks everyone for all the good ideas. I'll post pics when I get this monster quilt finished. ;) It doesn't go on the machine for a few more days, so the concrete isn't totally set yet!:D:D

Archived