oh my! hard beginners lesson learned

I was working on a quilt and down to the last couple rows and I didn't check the backing to make sure I wasn't sewing a fold into it till I was about 24 inches past it when I noticed it. It has several places that folded in about 36 inches across the area. Made me sick that I didn't check it because I was being so carefull to pay attention to it and I was alomost done. The design is a freehand kind of flower and leaf design and they are not more than 2-3 inches large. So there is alot of stitching to undo. I have started to frog it but is taking a long time and it is very hard to pull stitches. The stitch regulator was set on 11-13 and I was using a 40 wt. thread. Have I done something wrong with my quilting choices? I have tried to use the little shaver but can't get it close enough to the stitches. So have been pulling one stitch or so at a time to remove. This is a hard lesson to learn that I will never do that again.:(

Sorry for your dilemma, Bonnie.

Another Bonnie (Botts) has a technique she calls "skinning" for removing stitching. It can be done safely and quickly with the quilt still loaded. It requires lifting the top layer and the batting and using a blade (razor blade, scalpel-like blade with a handle, a rotary cutter held horizontally, etc.) to cut just the visible stitches. Pull the batting/fabric up and cut those stitches by holding the blade horizontally and just nicking the visible threads--continue pulling and touching with the blade, and lots of stitches will be removed. With the same even pulling, touch the next few stitches and pull some more. You are less likely to nick the fabric this way and be careful both of nicking the fabric and yourself. You will work up a rhythm and be done in no time.

To remove the bits of thread that are left, use a lint roller and then either an emery board to pull out the errant threads, or I use a big rubber school eraser to coax them out and roll into a ball.

My condolences on the nasty pleats. It is a hard lesson learned! Good luck!

Sorry for your dilemma, bet ya could use a smile! Just tell them not to show anyone as you didn't charge for it and everyone will want one!

Bonnie's skinning technique is the best, I' still trying to develop some kind of tool to do that delicate task.

Hope I made your day a little brighter---Grasshopper

Thanks for all the sympathy and the skinning technique. I am working it right now but have a few nicks on the backing . what to do?? it is white muslin. Do yo just close the small holes with thread and needle? The quilt is not mine , it figures I'd have to do it to someone elses quilt. But I am not charging much for it and he knows I am a beginner so don't think he will be to particular. He just wanted it quilted.

How big are the holes? Once the quilt is separated from the backing, you could put fusible web over the holes and fuse in place before re-loading the quilt.

If you pop the stubborn stitches by touching the batting with your blade, rather than cutting down toward the backing, you should have better luck avoiding nicks. A razor blade isn't a very precision instrument, so if that's what you are using, you are more likely to nick the backing.

A really good seam ripper for this process is Havel's Ultra-Pro Seam Ripper. Your LQS may have them. A google search should turn one up, or go to www.quiltingamongfriends.com and she has them in her products section.

Hi again, Bonnie!

Apply some Fray Check to the nicks. Circle them with a blue marker so you can find them again, load up and continue quilting. When finished. flip it over and check all the nicked spots. If any are left that weren't closed by your quilting, do a bit of careful hand tacking with a fine thread and all will be well. Remove the blue marker when finished.

Thanks for how to take care of the small nicks I have made. I am using the rotary blade and put blue painters tape on half of it to give a cover type handle so I don't have to worry about cutting myself so easily. It seems to work fairly well but some of the sewn areas are so tight it is hard to expose the threads to cut and then I nick the backing. I will look around for the havels seam ripper but will proably have to order it. Well I will see how it goes and I apperciate all the help. THANKS again!

Bonnie:

If you cant find the seam ripper try your local vet clinic. Ask for a disposable scalpel. Pretty much the same thing. My husband buys his at the vet clinic and I get mine at the local quilt shop. He broke his working on calves and my son knew about mine...ran to the sewing room to "borrow" mom's. I didn't want it back!!:o

after searching the garage I found a small new xacto knife that has the slide out blade and you can break off the blade to get a new edge. It actually works rather well. With that and my magnify loops I am skinning the quilt back. I decided to take it back all the way across the bottom section since the begining stitch removal didn't start out to well and have too many repairs. Which led to the to decision to just replace the muslin on that end. Takes forever to undo the stitches but I learned a valuable lesson and thanks to everyones help I may be finishing up by the end of the week hopefully.

I have started to frog it but is taking a long time and it is very hard to pull stitches.......

.....but some of the sewn areas are so tight it is hard to expose the threads to cut.....

I am sorry you have to go through this.

But on the up side, you and your machine are doing a wonderful job. You have good tension and your quilts will last a long time.

Archived