Has anyone used Halo thread on their LA?

just tried playing with it today..... it would be PERFECT for this quilt I am working on. I can only get it to stitch for an inch - then the top thread breaks. A very beautiful inch - but I need it to go much farther! I am using prewounds in the bobbin.

I tied all of the usually things: loosen top tension, only going through 2 holes instead of 3 right above tension rings, sewer's aid and such.

This quilt is MUCH to pretty to do just normal stuff, hand applique blocks, batik fabrics - just beautiful! I keep hearing Dawn C. say "pick the hardest thing you can do for that quilt and do that."

Hints or ideas please.....

Guest Linda S

Yes, I've run it before, both with a mono and alone. You do have to go very slowly, use a larger stitch, and loosen the tension to the point where you barely have any.

Sounds like I will have to play some more! I do have a 16 needle in right now for all of the other fine thread work, and I can do everything on this quilt - then go back and do just those areas where I want to use the Halo thread. It is just in the sashings around the blocks.... and one outer border.

I am thinking that maybe I should switch to an 18 needle? Guessing I would have to if I ran the Mono along with it.... never have tried that before, two threads at once.

Guess I could run it from the bottom if I flipped the quilt over, but I am such a perfectionist I think I would NEED to see what I am doing as I do it.

Thanks for all of the info - You people are the best!!! :cool:

Originally posted by Myrna Ficken

If you are talking about Halos form Superior it is a bobbin thread, not meant to be ran in the top.

:o Good question. Ooops

I originally thought "Halo" that she meant Glitter Hologram thread so hmmmmmm....

so.....Judi is that what you meant? Glitter Hologram thread? If so, I use the monofilament with it both through the eye of the needle and it works fine.

The previous posts gave good ideas, but one I didn't see was to only go up through one hole of the pre-tensioner (the 3 holed thing above the tension disks) and then down through another, no wrapping around. You will probably have to loosen the bobbin also or it will pull the top down to the bottom side.

It is possible and oh, so pretty!

Hester, you can use anything in the bobbin. I just did a class a month or so ago with Renae Haddadin (sp) and she taught us to do bobbin work. You wind it on the bobbin. If she wanted it on certain lines, she stitched the lines from the top in thread, then turned the quilt over and put the thread she wanted to use in the bobbin and stitched over the lines, we did it too. She taught in St. George that week, so I stopped at Superior threads and bought a bunch of thread for bobbin work. Don't tell my husband, I had to sneak it into the house.

So if you want to be a perfectionist and use the halo, stitch it out with mono on top, flip it over and stitch on the back doing bobbin work. The trick to bobbin work is you don't want perfect tension on the top. It works on your DSM also, just get a different bobbin case for each and then you don't have to tweek your favorite one.

You also have to tie and bury your threads.

Shirley

Shana - I am talking about "Halo" thread - it is from Superior threads and reads that is a "Serger and Decorative Thread" on the label. They are just little cones with 550 yds on them. I didn't buy them but was given them when a shop closed. She didn't use them either. But they are so pretty!!

Thanks Sheila - that is what I was thinking too. I did try only 2, but need to give it a whirl with only one and really loosen that tension.

What I don't get is if you are running 2 cones of thread - I am guessing one is on the right side of the machine and one sitting on the left side of the machine.....

How does that one back over on the left side (when you are standing in the front by the belly bar) cross over the head???? It will still need to go through the tension disks right?? I just can not picture this.... how?

The 3-hole thingy is on the side and where does the thread run from there?

Or are you using the other spools holder thingies on top of the head??

Are you somehow double-stacking the cones in the back on the same side?

Perhaps I am just over-thinking this....

Archived