Pantographs

I need some help, when doing pantographs how do you keep the sides down so when you come back onto the quilt the hopping foot doesn't catch the fabric. If I use pins, the needle sews thru the pin, then I have to cut it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Ginny

Use a large stitch length and baste the sides as you advance--from the front side. You can pin first to make sure all is even and remove the pins as you get to them.

You can also start the panto pattern a bit in on the fabric. Move the head so the line in the panto that will start the next pass puts you a few threads in on the quilt. Needle down, check your position, engage the SR and go.

I like to start and end off the top so I usually baste.

I baste because I know my quilt is square. When I do pantographs I don't like to go off the edge because then I know the stitch is always locked. One time I trimmed the edges and when I went to bind the quilt, the stitching pulled out. I had to go back and resew all the seams. Lesson learned. If I accidently go off I come back on and lock the stitch by backtracking. Customers love that the edge is basted down because it's easier to put the binding on. Myrna's DVD shows basting the left side and pinning the right. Then she removed the pins on the right and sprays.

I basted the panto i did and was happy with the result. It didnt add much time at all and it it keeps the quilt is square.

i marked the edge of the quilt with masking tape on the leveling roller and just eyed where the quilt should be - using my fingertips to gently push it where i wanted it (kim Brunner style) then just put on my stitch regulator and stitched a line down to secure it. i did this with each advance. then you are ready to panto.

I baste the edges as mentioned by others above. However, I also try not to sew off the edge & to do this I use the laser to I/D where the edge is on the pantograph & stick a strip of purple (low-adhesive) painters tape vertically onto the vinyl over the pantograph at each edge. This saves me having to look at the quilt as I work & lose my place!

Using the painters tape is really useful when I'm only putting the pantograph in the main body of the quilt & have to do something else in the borders.

Another easy visual is to use a couple of rulers and place them on the panto pattern where the edge of the quilt will be. This helps figure out the first pass as well, if you want to move the whole pattern a little more to the left, or right. sometimes the pattern just looks better. I just use any ruler I have laying around. I actually keep a couple of plastic 12" rulers on the table, just for that purpose. I also have learned that it is easier to take the time to baste down the sides. this also is a good time to practice doing straight north south lines freehand. Happy stitching.

I baste on the left side and pin on the right side. But, to assist me in knowing when I'm at the end of the quilt I put a piece of masking tape, on the clear cover, to indicate on the pantograph when I'm at the edge of the quilt. And since sometimes my mind can wonder and I kindof get in the grove, about 3 inches from the end I make some slash marks on the clear plastic with an eraseable marker. Slow down a little to get to an edge, take out those pins, quickly baste down and follow thru and finish the rest of the pattern. Just have to remember to wipe off the market before you take off the quilt.

Archived