A guild challenge

This year my guild challenged us to build a small project around a paint chip sample color and a letter of the alphabet--drawn randomly.

Ruby Street Quiltworks, a fabulous LQS, generously hangs these yearly challenge quilts. Here is a link--

www.rubystreetquiltworks.com

There is a bit about the challenge directing you to click on their Gallery link. The first offering is the Washington Stars Fall Challenge. If you click on that you will see our stuff.

Who can guess which is mine?:P:P:P

What fun quilts!!!! My guess is that yours is the elephant with the martinis..... am I right? ;)

Linda - what were the guidelines for the challenge? Were the paint chips and the letters in separate envelopes? Would you be willing to share the details? I think this would be a good challenge for my guild.

Right Kristina!!

The guidelines for the challenge--a paint sample and a letter of the alphabet were randomly chosen and put into one envelope and sealed. We each chose an envelope and were told not to open until the rules were explained. We were to use the letter and the color in any way we liked to make a "quilt" no larger than 20" per side.

I got the most nondescript grey color and a "U". THAT was a challenge!

My friend Rose was lucky to get a pretty pink color and an "R"--not fair!! She did a pretty bead-embellished initial "R" to hang on her studio door.

My was not so delicate!!!

Also--the members were very creative with their designs. One got a green and the letter "C". She did blocks that started with "C"--Churn Dash, etc. Very creative, I thought. The pink elephant one was pink and an "E"--who could resist that!! The one with the hammer and nails--you can't see in the photo, but the block of wood is a piece of foam the size of a 1x2 covered with wood-grain fabric and tacked to the bottom like a shelf--with real nails stuck in it! She got brown and an "N"--she calls it "Nailed It!!" We had a great time at the reveal and pretty good participation.

Archived