what would you of done?

You gotta wonder what people think sometimes. And then the answer comes and it is of course - they don't think!! You are a generous soul to fix it for free. I find I'm a bit of a soft touch, but in my dreams I loved Linda's idea, charging and including the margarita, if only we could - or would!! Good luck with the 'repair'. :)

Guest Linda S

You're doing fine Shannon. It was her choice to take it all apart. She can wait till you can work on it if she wants you to fix it. I always hang my own quilts up and look them over well before I quilt them. Nothing like finding out later that a block is turned the wrong way.

I can't imagine that she expects you to do this for free. I would tell her that you are happy to fix it, but that she will need to rip out all the quilting she did that she's not happy with, and you will charge her on an hourly basis, quote your hourly rate (at least $25 an hour) and say you'll give her an estimate when you see how extensive the repair is.

I would never do this for free. It was in no way your fault.

Julia

Shannon

I understand you wanting to keep your reputation intact. Not that there is any way it should be damaged by this person. However, even if you decide to do this and not charge I think you should give her an invoice showing what you would have charged her & discount it 100% 'just this once!' - if you insist on not charging her. I think it would be a good educational exercise for her to understand what this work really costs.

Meanwhile(((((((hugs))))) & I think you're great!

Linda, I love how you think! :D:D It made me laugh, reading your response. :D

Doodlebug, I think you have gotten lots of good advice from everyone. Obviously, you need to do what you think is best, but I can't honestly see how it could hurt your reputation by charging her since it wasn't your mistake, but hers, that created the need for additional quilting by you. I would think that in spite of what she has to pay you to fix it, that she would be saying lots of wonderful things about how you helped her out after she screwed up!

Let us know how it all turns out. I guess we're all a bit over-protective, thinking someone is taking advantage of "our Doodlebug"! :cool:

Shannon,

You are awesome and don't you forget it. She can not tarnish your reputation around here... you are being very kind as you always are. I love your conversation items you will include.

BUT!!! I think you should charge her for your time... set up fee, hourly fee, something. You are way too good and your time is money!!!!

Pls let us know how it turns out.

a small mini update:

i called and told her my frame was empty if she wanted to come and let me gander at her quilt. she said she'd be here in an hour....hour later she calls and says she won't be able to make it, as she has another appointment to make. THEN she mentions (in not so many words) that she understands that i am helping her out and she doesn't expect me to accommodate her. she understand that she 'messed' up and she appreciates my willingness to help her out. she just wants it to look nice when it's all said and done......yes, Virginia, there is a santa claus :)

i will take pictures and post after i have it 'finished' (again) and i'll let you know what happened.

Archived