what would you of done?

warning, this is a slight vent to people who completely 'get it'

a client called me this morning "needing my help" after getting home and seeing her quilt she realized that two HST units were turned the wrong direction. she proceeded to frog my quilting :o, frog the piecing:o, and flip the pieces. her request for my help: she has tried to quilt it back on her machine, but it looks bad and would i re-quilt it because she wants it too "look nice" (it looked nice before)

*grr*davis tried to cheer me up by saying that it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission...

my first thought to myself was, "who would've noticed in the first place" it was an asymmetrical design, i didn't see it nor did it stick out.

i told her i had just loaded a large custom and it would take me a couple days to empty the frame. this customer is not a 'regular' customer. she has brought me two (small) tops in three years and the time spent 'consulting' with her is, well, not easy.....

i told davis that if she comes to the house with a hot mess, i'm not touching it.

days like today i totally envy those who don't quilt for others....but i do enjoy quilting for people. i could never piece all the quilts that i have quilting ideas for *shrug*

suggestions?

coming from someone who used to take her quilts to be quilted and has never quilted for others....

if this were me - (which it would never be cause i am too lazy to frog, but if it were) i would fully expect to have to pay a loading and quilting charge - and a PITA charge. i would not complain nor would i ask you to fit me in. i would take what you gave me and tell anyone who would listen how wonderful you are.

i would also completely understand if you didnt want to fix it for me.

in summary, this is not your problem.

if, however, you care to show her good will and fix it for her...then great! i'm sure she will be most grateful.

if not, who can blame you?

once you look at it - decide what is best for you and never give it another thought. you do beautiful work and you have no worries about your reputation.

and while your looking at it - make conversation by telling her that every quilt has an error - that's how you can tell its handmade. only God is perfect.

geez - for all my soapboxing...you wouldve thought i had to do it myself.

Wow, it must have really bothered her to have the flipped block. Since she has done the frogging and flipping, I would work her in between the next quilt or two. And charge her your minimum - at least.

As with the rest, I know a couple quilters who purposely flip a block or mix up colors, just to make the quilt their own.

This is the time to try the clips, if you have them. Dave uses them in just this situation. He took a quilt off the frame only to discover he missed a block - so he reattached using the LA clips and was done in a few minutes - they worked great.

This is a great place to vent - big or small - it really helps.

Jane

Hi Doods!

IF it is not a Christmas gift, have her wait until January.

If it IS a Christmas gift, it needs a "rush fee"--I'm thinking $50 on top of whatever you decide the job will take.

Maybe 15 minutes to evaluate and load, then depending on how extensive the frogging is--another 20 minutes to quilt, since you will have some starts and stops, 20 minutes to make and drink a margarita, another 20 minutes for chatting when she picks up--I say charge her for 1-1/2 hours. Times $25= $37.50 plus the PITA charge = $87.50. Do you dare??!!

If you DO dare, that'll teach her to frog without a plan in place!!;)

I am sooo evil!

OK, I'm am being realistic this time. I strongly advise you (;)) to be sure she understands that you are going out of your way to correct this undetectable problem. It might have been driving HER crazy, but that shouldn't spill over onto you! Fit it in if you can, do your magic, but charge charge charge her! Maybe not $87--but enough that it drives your point home!

If it goes on my frame, it is an automatic $50. I don't care if I am quilting one single square, loading a quilt is $50 minimum. So, if you have a minimum, I'd let her know BEFORE she brings it back to me that the least it would be would be the $50. I mean, was this in the middle of the quilt, the bottom or where? How much did she have to take out, for heaven's sake? Geez! Good luck!

If you are able to fit her in between quilts you can do it. That being said I would charge her at least your minimum for a "rush" job. The clips Dave is talking about would work great - I use them from time to time too.

Your quilting is magic and I'm sure she wanted to make sure her quilt was perfect. Take a deep breath and sprinkle some fairy "doodle" dust and work it baby. . .

Hey Shannon,

I agree with all of the above. Insist she frog her quilting and have the quilt absolutely ready for you to do. Minimum fee of $50 - longer if it takes you more than 1 hour to load, quilt & unload, maybe add on a rush fee too. She definitely needs to learn to have a plan before she does this again. And if there is a next time - make her wait to the end of your current list.

Btw - love the idea of building in Margarita time & charging her too. If only we'd dare!

Good luck.

This is interesting! I'd explain that repairing the quilting is harder/more time consuming than she thinks and have your list ready. Then ask her how much she expects to pay for it. See what she says and go from there. We're all anxious to hear how this is settled, so keep us informed.

okay- this is what i have decided to do-

*fingers crossed this is the probable situation* my first inclination is protecting my reputation as a professional, quality LAer, so i will help her out of 'her' jam, and fix her quilt. (i can see her telling people how helpful i was to help her out of a quilt emergency) BUT- i will stress that i've never, in 6 years, had anyone do this and educate her that it is not a likely fix to her piecing issues. i will also tell her that she should had a plan before ripping out my quilting...... like calling me first!... i won't charge anything because *i hope* it should be an easy load and re-quilt thing....i know i should, but i think the lesson would be lost either way. i'd rather have one happy customer than bad 'word of mouth'. don't think i won't try to work the phrase "charge you next time" into the conversation...a couple times.

as someone stated- i shall douse it good in 'doodle' dust (lord knows i have tons of that on only horizontal surface :) ) and work some buggy magic...

and no- i'm not ripping out her quilting- i don't do froggin :)

Shannon,

Please do post after you meet/talk with the piecer. We all want to learn what to do if this ever happens to us. While I agree that she was crazy to frog and re-piece, I've been known to be that detail oriented as well. Her real error was in not calling you and developing a game plan together. Good luck!

Lynn

Just finished the binding on my own quilt, and dh (dear hubby) came home, so we spread it on the kitchen floor to look at it. Since it was a block of the month from JoAnn's, I showed him the photo of what it is supposed to look like, and he said, "Oh, I really like what you did with those parts in the corner."

Huh? what I did with what "parts" in the corner?

So he points out to me that I 1/4 turned the corner setting squares. I didn't even see it!

However, The likelihood of me frogging it is about as high as it was for me to undo that 'ack barf' quilting!

My motto is going to be "Keep moving forward"...On to the next quilt...there are too many quilts and time is short!

I'll keep learning on the next one. (IF I get the machine back together!)

Archived