Christmas Quilting what would you do?

I got a call from someone who wants three quilts quilted for Christmas, queen size too.

She and her daughter actually came to my house last summer, talked about LA and quilts, and then never left the quilt!! I spent 40 minutes with this lady, we talked about her quilt and I gave her a quote but she spent most of the time asking about my longarm machine etc.

I told her I couldn't guarantee they would be done before Christmas but I would try . . . what would you do?

I'd have to say "no" unless she was totally okay with getting them sometime in January. I'm already so far behind in getting ready for Christmas, I couldn't take the stress of having to get three queen size quilts done in a week!

That being said, what kind of quilting does she want? Hopefully a panto or overall freehand design, but if it's custom on one or all, yikes!

If you take them on and get them done in the time frame she's asking, I hope you get a hefty "rush" fee. Good luck!

I always charge a RUSH fee if my customers want alterations or an outfit sewn in less than a week. I have a sign posted in my sewing room, I charge a $25.00 rush fee for items needed within a week. Afterall, you have to put others aside to do them. Don't know about quilting charges (just started quilting), but I think I would charge a special RUSH fee also. But if it's going to cause stress on me, especially during the Holidays, I would say "no". Nothing is worth ruining my holidays.

IF----

shopping is done, cookies are baked, house is decorated, stockings hung by the chimney with care ;) and your stress level is OK--ask her to pick ONE and you could do an overall before Christmas. That could be finished in a half-day and then you will have some extra cash for more Christmas stuff!

I am pondering why she was there the first time. With all the longarming questions, she was perhaps picking your brain for business ideas with the thought of getting a machine. Don't reward her for her mis-managing your first encounter by stepping up and quilting deadline quilts before the holidays--unless it is something you REALLY REALLY want to do.:o

Wow your a nice lady...and if this was my world 6 years ago...I would have just looked at her and then fell to the floor giggling as that would have been the only reaction I would have been able to do, because crying would have been the next action.

My start for christmas quilts was Labor day and my cut off was December 1st...if you brought it to me after that date, it would have resulted in a huge RUSH charge and you would only get an all over meander/stipple quilting. I would only do this now if I was totally comfortable with not stressing out my personal holiday needs...as Linda said...only if all my stuff was done and it wouldn't mess up my schedule. Also Christmas stress is now why I don't quilt for others anymore.

I don't do any customer quilts from Thanksgiving until the New Year. If I quilted full-time I may look at it differently but with my real job, Maddie, MIL, mother I just don't have time. I would have to not buy any presents for my family because I'm still not done! I did get my son's package in the mail today so I'm making progress! I would surely charge her a rush fee.

Archived