getting a quilt perfectly centered to backing

i read vicki welsh's blog and receive the Three Creative Studios newsletter and she has a pdf on how to center a quilt perfectly to the backing. it is different than the technique i used, so i felt that i should share!

i will be trying this next time i need to center a quilt, but i still won't let customers know it can be done *grin*

here's the link:

http://3creativestudios.com/freeprojects/centered_quilt_back.pdf

merry christmas y'all....

Originally posted by mswings

Doodlebug, how do you normally do it?

before loading the flimsy and backing, i find the center of the sides and mark with a saftey pin. then i load (i do a partital float) the backing, pinning as usual. then i load the flimsy and roll up to where the safety pins are. i then un roll the backing to expose the safety pins. i match the safety pins and use straight pins to mark where the top edge of the flimsy hits the backing. reroll everything back up and start quilt, lining up the flimsy to my straight pins in the backing.

i can get the flimsy center within 2" of dead center.

i know it takes us back to quilting from the center out, but i like that Vicki's method gets it perfectly centered. Plus i only get 3 or 4 quilts that need centering a year. i like the idea that i know how to get them perfectly centered, rather than 'close'...ya know :)

This is probably not useful info for all those who quilt with a frame, but for those that quilt with a DSM, or even a George, here is how I do it when pin basting a large quilt:

I turn the backing right side up, and put a line of safety pins down the center of the backing. Then I turn it over and tape it down as usual and put on the batting. I mark the center of the top with a few pins, if needed, in order to know exactly where the center is. I spread the top over the batting, and with my fingers, I feel the safety pins marking the center of the back. I center the top over that line of pins. Then I pin or baste as usual. When it is all pinned or basted, I turn it over and remove the line of pins from the backing. If it needs to be centered in 2 directions, just make a second line of pins going from side to side on the backing before turning it wrong side up to prepare for making the quilt sandwich.

Archived