Tamarack snow dyeing

Oh my this waiting is killing me. I'm snow dyeing a back. Our snow is more like ice right now. It has been 5 hours and hardly any snow has melted. My container is in the hottest room of the house and melting sOOOOO slow.

I was reading your blog and your experimenting. I am trying it without the screen basically because I don't have one.

Still waiting.

Thanks

Michele

Michele....you have just ventured in to a very addictive area of dyeing:) LOL!!

I can hardly wait to see what you did, please post pictures as soon as the fabric is out of the dryer!!! That is my favorite part, opening the dryer door to finally see what took all day to dye!

I want too try this in my area as soon as we get another big snow here, what kind of material do you buy to dye it it just plain muslin or another material , what store can I buy the dye at. not much store here around me to purchase. I do pass a Michael's and Hobby Lobby on my way to work.

Thanks

Wilma

Okay here it is. I'm pretty sure my fabric was to big and squished to much in my container. That is why I got so many really light lavender places. I'm thinking of over dyeing it for more color. Not sure. Will definitely try again. I think it will work better with snow not the ice crystals that are outside right now. What I have out the back door is more like snow-cone ice. LOL

Here it is

post--13461905527406_thumb.jpg

Wilma, Where do you live?? I live in Lisbon Ohio now.

This big piece is from a store in Shilo, Ohio. I bought a bolt of 118" with a 25% coupon a couple of years ago.

You will have to search around for fabric that you will be happy with to dye. Make sure it is 100% cotton.

Since I have a business I found a reasonably priced, very nice fabric from my wholesaler. It is from creative springs.

For a little more money White Southern Bell is very very nice.

I tried the Kona 200 thread count cotton. It is very nice but I found it was to dense to sew through. LOTS OF POPPING going on.

I hope you try it but the waiting was a killer.

Michele

Cool piece of fabric but if that is not the effect you were going for I think you just need more dye/water for the amount of fabric.

The last backing I snow dyed was 3.5 m of fabric and I used 4 cups of water with 3.5 tsp dye powder and I had no light areas. I used a shallow rubbermaid container too.

Was your fabric prewashed and damp when you dyed? That helps remove any sizing in the fabric and the damp fabric wicks the dye into the fabric.

The icy snow shouldn't have made the difference as this is all about temperature of the dye/fabric. I know some dyers that use crushed ice and get the same effect. You can even just place the damp fabric in a freezer and get the same snow dye effect when the dye is added.

I am looking forward to seeing what else you try!!!

Well I'm not always known for following directions with dyeing. ROFLMAO. I've always kind of done my own thing. LOL.

I used well over 2 TBS of dye. LOL. and I don't think I used that much water. So more water would have probably done the trick. LOL. The snow might have melted better with more water also. LOL. I've been searching for the magazine this technique was in but can't find. (I'm not known for my organizational skill either LOL).

Seriously though, I like the idea of putting it in the freezer that way it could be done anytime of year.

Thanks for giving me the push to try this!! It really is fun to see what happens.

Michele

Michele, I think that is the most beautiful piece of cotton fabric I've ever seen.... Our snow from last night is all melted and gone, so can't dye (fabric) here.. I say lets converge on Heidi.. Enjoy it, and just don't get sick out in that cold...

Michele

I live in Peebles, Ohio,,, went to JoAnn today and got me a nice piece of cotton fabric. 5 yards,, now I am waiting on our next snow... I love your piece you dyed,, your colors are great looking. We have a New store at Eastgate in Cincinnati of JoAnn just open last Thursday,,, love going there... so excited to get too do mind..

I've been experimenting for a few weeks now. It's amazing how the dye looks so different on top then when you actually take the piece out of it. First time I rinsed out after about 3 hours. I didn't do anything special with my fabric, I even folded it flat and just layed it in the bottom. It turned out pretty nice. The second batch was my most successful as far as color goes. Then again nothing special, just soaked in soda ash and put in container with 3 kinds of dye. two pieces of fabric with two different looks. Third try, I soaked in soda ash, froze the fabric and then covered with snow and dye. Left sit for 5 or 6 hours and then rinsed. It all came out Pink! I think the coldness kept the fabric from taking the dye. I still have some snow here, so I'm going to try again tomorrow.

When mixing dye colors in cold water/snow dyeing pink is usually dominant. Blues are slower to bond to the fabrics in cold water than the pinks so the pinks tend to take over. I did one snow dye of equal parts blue, fuchsia and yellow....it was very pink, but very pretty!

Sorry I'm such a geek when it comes to dyeing but I love to know WHY the dyes react they way they do under different conditions.

My son is even doing his school science fair project on fabric dyeing in different temperatures. If you want to get the darkest color for the amount of dye your using...use hot water!!:)

• 1 month later...

Archived