NQR-Drunk Driver

On the way home from picking up my dght from work on the very late shift the other nite we saw and reported a Drunk Driver-not even 10 minutes of me telling her to be more watchfull as this time of nite people are headed home from friends, bars etc. The dispatcher asked if we would sign a report & we said OF COURSE! We watched as this woman was hancuffed & taken away in the back of the patol car (The DUI test is a facinating process to watch) When I related this to a friend she asked if I was frightned of any possible retaleations I told her "No-what really frightens me is that this woman was driving in that condition on the same roads that my children on-that ANYONE drives on!"

Be careful out there!

Good for you Sewhappy! If more people would be proactive, maybe more lives would be saved. I've had my share of reporting drunk drivers, too, and things have changed over the years for sure. First time was in college when a drunk driver ran me off the road during the time when the school buses were running. I chased him down, got his tag number, drove to the small town I was passing through police department (before cell phones) and was told, "oh he's harmless, he's known as the town drunk"! Needless-to-say, I reported him to the highway patrol after I got home and they handled it. 2nd one I didn't have to turn them in...we witnessed a drunk driving accident that killed two people and injured one into a vegetable state the rest of her life all from the seat of our motorcycle! Long story short, we ended up testifying against the drunk driver in court and he was convicted. 3rd time was when we were coming home in a convoy of show cars. It was satisfying watching the highway patrol pull that guy over as we were all nervous he was going to wreck any of us at any time. As you can tell, I have zero tolerance for DUI's (booze or drugs). We've had two friends convicted of DUI's, one being very embarrassed about it and not wanting to tell me but I saw the breathalyzer in his car and the other was devastated because he also got fired from his job (Fed Ex has zero tolerance even when it's off their clock).

I'm glad you did what you did and were safe.

Good for you!! People should never feel guilty about reporting a drunk driver, no matter who the drunk is. Imagine how you would feel if the drunk injured or killed someone. My middle brother was killed by a drunk driver 21 years ago and the heartache my family went through was terrible. He left a wife and three children. The hurt is less as the years go by, but it never goes away.

Thank you Sewhappy!!!!!!!

And Carman, I'm so sorry for your lost. I also lost my only sibling my brother in a car accident. Did not involve a drunk driver but I know your lost.

Wouldn't it be great more prople had the courage to follow SEWHAPPY"S exsample!!!!!

I applaud you, Patty!

People MUST get involved when they see drunk/impaired drivers. The Seattle area has numerous wrong-way drivers on our freeways every year and all are DUI--and sometimes DOA, taking others with them. The heartache and loss they cause is immeasurable. Never hesitate to report what you see.

Good for you!

I too applaud you for reporting the drunk driver. It isn't a matter of if someone well get hurt by them..but when. I wish more bartenders would step up to the plate too and not let these people leave their establishment driving.

A few months back...a young female soldier who just returned from afghanistan and was traveling through to california, was killed by a drunk driver who got on the offramp of an interstate. He was fortunately killed too.

We should all do as patty did.

I thank you also Patty. I wish more people would report drunk drivers. It is so horrible to lose someone that way. I'm with you. I wouldn't worry about retaliation. I worry about everyone else in the path of these drunk drivers!:mad: It really makes me mad when you hear about how many previous DUI's these people have and they still have their license:mad::mad::mad:They get a slap on the wrist time after time and then kill somebody. It seems it takes a death to get them off the road. It's pathetic. And I've seen many of them blame "the alcohol". They don't take any responsibility.Ugh (Can you tell I'm a RN) Anyway, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. Who knows whose life you saved!

Thank you Patty for being proactive. Both me and dh report strange things on the highway. Because of where we live it is pretty isolate out there and it can take hours before response people get there. My dh is a bus driver and he does not hesitate to contact authorities when he sees things that are dangerous to the public. We all need to be vigilant in reporting. You just never know...;););) Needless to say I worry about him every time he goes out.

You did the right thing! My DH's grandparents were killed by a drunk driver...it was many years ago and the pain has faded but it's something you never forget. They were a wonderful couple and I'm sad that my oldest son does not remember them...and the youngest wasn't born yet. We reported a drunk driver while driving home from my SIL's last year...the woman was so far gone she fell asleep while stopped at a red light, woke up, then headed straight into oncoming traffice (going the wrong way). Fortunately the police got her pulled over before anyone was hurt. Scary!

Archived