NQR- A Glimpse of SPRING!

It has been beautiful down here in SE Louisiana for the past week. This weekend we harvested the last of our winter veggies. We were also able to cultivate both of our gardens. Today we purchased 25 pounds of seed potatoes and have them cut and limed all ready to plant next weekend!

The roses will be cut back this week and their beds laid with new mulch. Tomato seeds will be started and plans drawn for a new herb garden.

OMG -- I need help! When am I going to quilt!

Same here Sandra. Beautiful weather here too, temps in the high 70s. Perfect weather for working outside. This weekend we transplanted a half dozen shrubs that had outgrown their spot in front of the house. Then we planted out some containers with lettuce, cabbage, marigolds, begonias, peppers, and various seeds. The only thing I didn't put in seeds for was tomatoes, they're next. I hope to get the garden area tilled up this week and get some english peas and turnips planted.

I even found time to load a quilt and get it started. If I just didn't have to work at a "real" job.........unfortunately, I do. Oh well, just gotta make the best of the time I have available. :):):):)

Originally posted by SandraG

Sharon, have you ever done garlic? I want to try some. I guess I will have to do a little research.

I've done garlic and it is really easy to do. You have to plant the bulbs before the ground freezes. Not sure what you all do down south. They are much like tulip or daffidil bulbs. They grow long green shoots and you wait until the ends curl and they fall over. Trim them off (don't throw them away, fantastic sauteed in butter and put on potatoes). Then once the stalks that are left start to turn brown you can finally pull the garlic up.

o.k LAST week was nice, the driveway finally was all cleared off - - edge to edge (can you tell I am a quilter?? ) We actually had hit almost 50 degrees!

;);)

But now - 13 to 15" of new snow. It is still snowing and the wind is starting to pick-up.

I am sure school will be 2 hours late tomorrow.... and I should be starting my new water aroebics class! grr..... I know my man won't get up that early to clean of the driveway.

I am ready for spring! :cool:

Sandra,

Glad you are having warm typical weather for LA. We are having cold typical snowy weather for upstate New York. Shoveled 2-3" of snow this morning. We might get another storm on Friday. I only hope it misses us this week. I finally got most of the ice off the roof. Thank goodness I moved my truck or I would be needing a new one. It was like an avalanche of ice and snow.

Take care and enjoy your warm weather.

Heidi,

Our ground doesn't really freeze very often. I think i am going to try some garlic in my rose garden. I read that it does well with roses. I might have to put the bulbs in the frig for a few weeks before I plant them. Bud came home early today and "rowed up" the garden so it is ready for the potato planting this weekend.

Today was beautiful! We probably will still have a few cold snaps with a little frost but nothing really cold. I am ready to get the pool ready now!

Charlotte, It seems like the storms have really been bad this year. Ya'll try and stay warm up there.

Archived