paper piecing block

Heidi, Thank you; I got the email.

Nosy, uh...... I mean Meg:P:P, I would be glad to post a pic if I knew what I was doing!!! Go back about a week on the forum and search for a post with gummi dots in the title (I don't know who posted it); the block is in that quilt. Heidi is really close in her design, sight unseen.

Hi Janice,

After looking closely at Kerry's quilt posting, a paper piecing pattern could be easily drafted. If you look closely at the second photo you will notice that the lines between the spikes do not come together at the corner of the block. As each background and spike are paper-pieced, the angle of the spike continues off straight. The last spike added connects with the edge of the block quite a way up from the corner. This allows the corner to be without extra seams and when the blocks are joined there it is like a four-patch. I'll see if I can draft something for you.

Notice the points are floating on the background (except for that bottom one which I drew incorrectly!) This makes it easier to piece in the quarter circle without a lot of seam matching and extra bulk. I love this block!

post--13461905639968_thumb.jpg

Janice is you visit Judy's website you can find the actual pattern and her detailed instructions.

I think the $18 would be worth not having to design and print off your patterns.

I have her Celtic Wave patterns and the foundations are on newsprint so lighter paper than copy paper. Below are instructions from her website on how to foundation piece.

http://www.quiltworx.com/pdfs/foundationpaperpiecing.pdf

Lyn

Linda,

That is it exactly! I didn't explain it to Heidi very well, but she was on the right path, and she knew that the corner wasn't right even though she doesn't paper piece. Now I think I can draft it out on graph paper. Thanks so much.

Lyn, I guess I'm just a bit too frugal. I need one block and I can't see paying $18 for it.

Plus I think this is a fairly common paper piecing design; I just didn't know where to find it, or how to draw it from scratch without a basic template to work from.

Thanks everyone for all your help. This forum is the BEST!

Heidi you could just hire yourself out (in your spare time! ;) ) to help people make their idea blocks, or even how to use their EQ!

Way to pull together everyone - - I am off to find that other post now.... Love the name Gummie dots! Sounds yummy.... :cool:

that IS very pretty - love the fabrics too!!!

Originally posted by Judi

Heidi you could just hire yourself out (in your spare time! ;) ) to help people make their idea blocks, or even how to use their EQ!

Way to pull together everyone - - I am off to find that other post now.... Love the name Gummie dots! Sounds yummy.... :cool:

that IS very pretty - love the fabrics too!!!

Judi EQ isn't so bad to use once you use it and keep using it. I love to use it. I used to teach it like a BOM at a local shop and that was fun. It also forced me to really use the different aspects of the program. The trick to creating this block is to draw an arc to get your points right then draw another arc 1/4" to 1/2" to connect the points to to make it looks like it is hanging. You delete the original lines after you have the points drawn. Clear as mud right?

Judi glad it made sense. I had a harder time trying to come up with a good way to draw the lines so that you could paper piece it. I have done paper piecing but not a lot so it takes my brain some practice to see things that way. I wish I had more time to play with stuff like this. It is fun and a challenge.

Janice did you get my other email?

Archived