pics of quilt for granddaughter #3

I finished this quilt last weekend and thought I'd try posting pictures again. With notes in hand from Gerry on resizing pictures, we'll see how well I can follow instructions (LOL).

This quilt was fun because of all the bright (read wild) colors. It also gave me more practice on the dreaded SID. Actually, good practice all around: SID around quarter circles and points, free motion inside circles and in inner border, outlined appliqued hearts, and used panto in outer border.

WELL! You did excellent all around! Beautiful quilt, very nice quilting, and you did a superb job of resizing and uploading your pictures. There's no stopping you now!

Linda

I LOVE IT!!!! Your granddaughter will too.

Question....did you use any rulers? I was practicing the dreaded SID yesterday, and did really good in some places and REALLY BAD in others. It seemed to be more difficult when I was going horizontal. I did the best when I was going away from myself which seemed strange. I tried using the ruler, but I think I will need more practice with it. Does anyone have any tricks of the trade for SID?

Again...what a great quilt and great quilting.

Thank you all for the nice compliments. Still very much a novice, I tend to be my own worst critic. I'm hoping with time and practice my machine skills will improve. I'm not discouraged, I enjoy challenges and am having fun learning. Since I only quilt for pleasure, (too old to worry about starting a business) I know my friends and family will love what ever I make for them because it comes from my heart.

To Grammydiane. . . yes, I've tried several rulers. The one I like the best is the Dainty Ditcher from The Gadget Girls. It's very small and easy to control. I used it around all the points. I found another gadget called an Accu-Guide that I used around the circles. It's small too and easy to hold onto. It has notches cut to fit around the hopping foot and gives you better control of where the foot is going. It's great for curves and appliques. It's from www.lovetoquilt.com (Lakeside Quilt Co.) I've bought sooooooo many tools and gadgets, but so far, these 2 are my favorites.

Hi Carol

Oh boy, do I love your quilt! I want to make one just like it. How did you pick so many different fabrics...were they from a package or from your stash? It would be really nice to find a kit that had all thse vibrant fabrics in one bundle.

Your gd is going to love this quilt!

Rita

Very nice quilt - love the colors and the quilting - you did a great job!!

As for a hint when using rulers for SID - remember to always keep your

hand by your hopping foot to stay in control. With in that 6 " or so, do not

try to stitch to far away from your hand / center of control. Personally I

have made all of my own rulers. Cutting 1/4" acrylic you buy at Menards or

Home Depot. A mucher less investment incase I didn't like to use them!;)

One of my hobbies is Stained Glass, so I took my sheet to the owners

shop and the master helped me cut the curves just right, nice square

pieces, any lenth I want, and even drilled holes where I needed them on a

little insert piece I made to make my old style extended base easier to use

He helped me make so many rulers! And I LOVE ruler work! I need to go

make and make some more. This time I will buy the plastic from him, I didn't

know he stocked that stuff too! He didn't even charge me anything for

cutting so many pieces for me - nice guy! Plus I used the glass grinders to

smooth off the edges.

Hi Rita,

I'm glad you like the quilt. It really was fun to make. I saw a picture of it in one of my quilt magazines (it must have been an advertisement). The pattern is in a book called "Hearts Aplenty by Lynda Milligan & Nancy Smith, published by Possibilities. I ordered the book and the fabric kit (they are sold seperately) from www.greatamericanquilt.com. (They are in Denver) I did add a few fabrics from my stash as well as the second border in order to make it twin size. The finished pattern made it 62x78, and needed another 5" all around. I've just loaded another quilt on my frame for granddaughter #1, out of this same book. There are at least 2 more pattern in this same book that I plan to make, so I feel it was worth the money.

Hope this is helpful.

Carol

Archived