Turbo Bobbin Winder-Do you use?

I use my old stand-a-lone that came with my first machine. It seems to be the fastest and fills the bobbins just right. Never had much luck with my turbo. I use the steel bobbins instead of the smart bobbins. When I bought the turbo, it only cost $125 new and it only would the smart bobbins. I bought it because I thought that it would wind the "m" class bobbin since I had a Gammill at the time as well. But no such luck and the powers to be wouldn't change it or felt that there wasn't enough interest. Winding both the "L & M " class bobbins would have been great for everyone. APQS could have cornered the market on bobbin winder and sold a trunk load. Anyways, I use an older winder myself. Besides, it's easy the inexpensive to repair. zeke...............

I've never used mine. No instructions came with it, and I didn't take the time to try to figure it out. by the time I had used all the pre-wounds that came in the sample pack with the machine, I had gotten the magna glide bobbins in, and have used them exclusively.

It might be nice to be able to wind some with matching colors sometimes. I find the cost of the magna delights a little too high for customer quilting, and haven't passed ont he expense to the customer.

I use the turbo for all my bobbins. I use the aluminum ones, they are very light. Use the batting plug like Shana does, and also a thread net. However, many times I also need to "pinch" lightly, the thread as it goes from the cone to the loop. The thread sometimes "whips" winding unevenly, then if I go ahead and use it, usually towards the end of the bobbin, it will cause a break....ugh.... So I take a little extra time to get the finer threads, esp. Bottom Line, which I love, to wind evenly....

I'm too cheap to keep much thread on hand, so turbo is great for me. I only quilt for myself, so time isn't too much of an issue.....:cool: Pat

• 4 years later...

If you have inconsistent winding..try wrapping the thread between the tension discs. In other words, go around the disc a second time. I know, I know...people are going to say don't do it..but it has worked for me for years. I couldn't keep the thin threads like Bottom Line between the discs no matter what I set the tension at. Another longarm quilter told me to wrap it. Not a single issue since. I do monitor to make sure I am getting an evenly filled bobbin.

I agree with Lynn.  I don't have a Turbo Winder, but I do have several commercial stand alones, and I do an extra wrap when I thread each.  Used to have a problem once in a while with the thread coming out of the tension disks.  With the extra wrap, I never have that problem anymore.  Jim

Archived