Turbo Bobbin Winder-Do you use?

For those of you who use your turbo bobbin winder, are the results consistent? I have prewound bobbins, but sometimes I think it would be best to match thread color. Are there anythings I should watch out for? I received the turbo bobbin winder with my new Freedom SR and was curious how many of you wind your own bobbins!

Thanks!

Mine has NEVER wound correctly or consistantly. I use my bernina to wind bobbins. Carmen kinda got it adjusted right last year but tried again this year and no go. Guess i must be doing something wrong, maybe if i stuck my tongue out of the otherside of my mouth.....:P:P

Originally posted by meg

i wind my own bobbins exclusively. i use bottom line and sofine. the trick to getting good consistent results for me is to use a thread net. good luck!

.......Meg, I put a tiny piece of batting in the loop thingy above the cone on the turbo winder. That helped TREMENDOUSLY with my thread winding properly on the bobbin. Before I was having problems but after I stuffed that little loopy thingy with a batting scrap it has worked perfectly and I don't need to use a thread net. Try it!

I use it all the time too, and am so glad I paid the extra to get mine as it didn't come with my Lenni. I have now arranged it so that I can even wind while the cone is still on my Lenni (from the front !!!) I just take it out of the needle and the guide above the needle, leave in the rest of the guides, guide it through the loop on the bobbin winder and through the tensioner disks and off I go without having to take the cone that I am working on off my machine !!! It probably winds a little tighter this way, but so far so good !!

I love my Turbo Winder and am using me-wound bobbins with Sew Fine top and bottom right now, no problems. I also use it to wind bobbins for my Pfaff DSM. I sometimes use Fil-Tec Magna Glide and Delights and am very pleased with the results that I get from them.

Francine's (Penelopefabric) winder will wind a portion of the bobbin just fine and then stacks thread on one side of the bobbin. However, we did use one of those bobbins when we were playing and the tension was good.

Last year I did the following test with my Turbo Bobbin Winder.

I wound a full 3000yd cone of Bottomline thread using my turbo winder.

I was able to get 32 aluminium bobbins wound from it.

So that means each bobbin was about 94 yards.

BUT it took me 11 minutes to wind 10 bobbins.

I love my Turbo winder, wasn't difficult for my husband to change out the motor when it died.

Maybe Francine (Penelopefabric) needs to put the black washer on the post her bobbins go on to help even out the winding. I usually watch over mine and just push the thread across if it is winding to one sie.

Lyn

Guest Linda S

I have the older-style winder and used to wind all my bobbins until I found the Magna Glide and Magna Quilt ones. I haven't wound one bobbin since!

I mostly use the Magna Glide bobbins, but when I do wind my own the Turbo Winder works just fine and I have no tension problems.

Have any of you wound the Monolon type thread on the bobbins using the Turbo Winder? Haven't tried that yet, but will soon !

Wish Fil-Tec would come up with Magna Glide bobbins using the invisible thread. I sampled a prewound bobbin with their Essence thread. It was a plastic bobbin and wouldn't fit in my Millie, but works fine in my Janome DSM. I'd LOVE to have prewounds for my Millie, too.

shana - i do this, too. i call it a batting plug. gretchen told me about that when she set up lola-baby & gave me a quick run through of things. but it still was a bit shaky til i discovered the thread nets - especially when using bottom line. now, i always wind with a batting plug and a thread net and i don't have any problems. and i love matching thread colors, sometimes to each other sometimes to the fabrics.

is anyone else having trouble making the smiley faces in thier posts???? (huh? smailey face) i love those and can't seem to get them to work. (mad smiley face)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by meg

i wind my own bobbins exclusively. i use bottom line and sofine. the trick to getting good consistent results for me is to use a thread net. good luck!

.......Meg, I put a tiny piece of batting in the loop thingy above the cone on the turbo winder. That helped TREMENDOUSLY with my thread winding properly on the bobbin. Before I was having problems but after I stuffed that little loopy thingy with a batting scrap it has worked perfectly and I don't need to use a thread net. Try it!

;)

11 minutes for 10 bobbins...that is fast. I must be slow.

I find the turbo winder to be really, really loud so I don't like using it very much.

One day while winding some bobbins, a small brass screw flew out across the room at high speed!! Never figured out what it was for since it still works!

Archived