varying tension

ffq-lar

Hi Sandy!

Is the backlash spring removed from the bobbin case?--necessary when you are using magnetic bobbins.

Check your bobbin case for lint--under the finger and in the hole where the thread exits the case.

Good luck and I hope you are happily stitching again soon.

Have you tried putting a small piece of cotton batting in the first thread guide (I think that's what it's called) right above the cone of thread? It helps the thread glide through there more smoothly. I have found that really helps for me and Lenni.

Sandy

Have you used Glide before? The reason I asked is Brenda tried a cone of Glide a couple of weeks ago (first time) and had tension problems. When I watched her quilt I could see the thread jump off the cone. If you look it is wound in the opposite direction of Superior thread and I think it was getting twisted. Try turning the cone upside down. I believe that reversing the direction through the 3 hole guide over/under instead of under/over will work as well.

Nigel

Guest Linda S

Yes, make sure your backlash spring is out of your bobbin case. Also, how clean is your bobbin case? I clean mine with WD40 from time to time. On the outside of the case, where you have the adjustment screw, is the flap of metal that moves when you adjust the tension. Get a pin and run it under that flap of metal. Often, you will be surprised by the lump of lint that will come out of there. We often don't think to clean that part.

Thank you all so much for your quick replys. I do have the tension spring out of the bobbin case. I do have a piece of cotton batting in the holder where the thread comes up. I have used glide many times with no trouble and I did run a pin under the little finger of the bobbin case..no lint there. I have used wd 40, oiled. I use an air compressor to blow out my machine every time I use it. Tonight I tried yet another bobbin case and the stitches seem a little better. My poor rep, she is pulling her hair out with me, thank you Lorraine.

I know I need to play with the upper and lower tension, but i have never had any problems until now..... I guess i am just being tested.... I will load another practice piece tomorrow and try again..... this group is great! thank to all who took the time to answer......

Be very careful using a pin to clean out under the tension "finger" on your bobbin case: being a sharp-pointed instrument, a pin can cause minute scratches under that "finger," causing even more problems than you started with. Better to use a business card or other stiff cardstock to check for lint - less likelihood of scratching something where you can't see it and can't fix it.

Just yesterday I was using a cone of Rainbow from Superior and it had a knot in it where it looked like it had been joined ! Of course, the thread broke there and I had to rethread. I pulled off a few yards of thread first to make sure there were no more surprises.

Archived