Bobbin Question

I'm trying to adjust my bobbin case. Which way do I turn the screw? I assume righty tighty, lefty loosey. But which way do I hold it to decide which is left or right? With the open side of the case to the right or what?

Also, how do I do this yo yo test I read about? Whenever I try dropping the case the bobbin falls out and I can't decide how far it's dropping. I have steel bobbins. How far should they drop?

This is probably a stupid question, but it's just not clear to me.

I believe you hold the bobbin case with the open part facing to the right.Then it is righty tighty lefty loosey. When I do the drop test you have to hold it resting in your hand tilted against your hand and then just drop it a little bit still holding it in your hand.I am more of a visual person so I don't know if this makes any sense or not!!!It should drop like a spider .Not too loose

If you have the bobbin in the case properly with the thread going through the slot and under the spring thing (the part with the screw you just adjusted)...hold the bobbin case just resting in your left hand with the bobbin itself facing up. Pull on the thread with your right hand. The bobbin case should stand up, and at that point, the bobbin isn't going to fall out of the case.

Every machine is different, and every bobbin thread behaves differently. Some people adjust their bobbin tension so that when you move your left hand away, the bobbin case will drop slowly to the floor. Some people have better results if the bobbin thread needs to be jerked just a little to get it to start dropping. Mine performs best if the bobbin case will stand up, but I can't actually pick up the case off my left hand.

Hope that helps.

Archived