Thread suggestion??? Pictures added......again

I think your original idea sounds good, Vicki--go with your gut. I couldn't see the beadboard that you already did between the border and holly leaves, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed with Myrna on the beadboard idea (and she probably wouldn't have suggested it. What I meant by alternating distances on a beadboard, would be to:

* quilt two lines 1/4" apart, skip 2", quilt two lines 1/4" apart, skip 5", repeat from *

This thread (;)) is too fun for me to not chime in! Such great ideas and suggestions!

I also like the same thread as the rest. BUT--if you opt for beadboard you can use that silver metallic to add some sparkle, if that is your hearts desire thread. The straight lines and structure of the beadboard will contain the border print and not overpower it. Sort of like looking at the holly through a screen or iron fence. Plus that will make the time taken to mark and stitch the beadboard worth your time. Nothing like spending a ton of time on a design that no one notices.

Otherwise, I would use the popular green and do swirls in the same manner as the curlies in the fabric. That will add texture and not distract from the rest of that gorgeous quilt!

Now that I have looked at it again--that's a lot of border to beadboard! :P

Well, I can't wait to see what you decide to stitch!

my vote is also one of the greens and bead board. White is definately too much on this fabric. Editing this, I didn't see the post abt previous bead board. A holly meander would be nice adds texture and goes with the theme of the quilt.

Hey, Vicki,

I don't like the white thread. I like beadboard, but just how big is that border? If it's as big as it looks, I think I'd like swirls. Joan and Myrna might have a good idea, but I'm not sure what she means by alternating the sizes. I know, I've been a big help. LOL I see you're new stool. How do you like it?

May I throw in my 2 cents? That border looks very big. Beadboard is a good idea, but would it look too, uh, simple? How dense is the quilting in the inner quilt? By spacing quarter inch lines every two inches, will that be proportional to the width of the border? Or would it be too, ummm, skinny? I like to take the width and space my lines proportionally--even with "beadboard" (single lines are called piano keys).

I was thinking of a scallop effect using your swirly idea combined with some beadboard within that wide border. Since there is a swag of holly/berry in the quilt, would it look like an echo in the border---just a shadow of a swag?

Wheels are turning. . .:)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Boni your 2 cents is ALWAYS welcome!...I was thinking of going to something like your idea Boni but my original idea is this:

2078517880104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

I was thinking the little arches that I curved crosshatched around would be like little windows where you see snowflakes in each one and then had thought that large swirls with snowflakes in the border would be what you would see outside of the windows... so you can see that I have hemmed myself in by already doing curved crosshatching, and piano keys in the smaller inside borders... the outside borders are about 15" so they are large and I am trying to keep the quilting in perspective...I did do smaller swirls around all of the applique that does mimick the swirls in the border fabric. And I have crosshatched so many of this person's quilts already that I wanted to do something different.

But anyway, think I'll still go with the stencil and use the lighter green thread so you can see them but they aren't too distracting..

Linda - love your comment about this "thread"...:D

Libby - I wasn't sure on the saddle stool when I first got it, you really can't just plop down on it - you have to be sure you sit on it the right way so it doesn't roll away from you but now that I have gotten used to it, I love that you can lower the seat and scoot back and forth without getting up. And I haven't had any tired back lately!

Oh I see now. Nice curved CH. That stencil is really cute. Where did you get it, may I ask? I'm really curious how you connect all the lines in those snowflakes? I seem to collect winter patterns like snowmen and anything snow related.

Yummy eye candy. Thanks!:D

Boni, the stencil came from:

http://quiltingstencils.com/christmas-2.aspx?page=4

but I did find that the chalking and marking still did not show up well on the busy fabric so I decided to to with making another 2" border on the green and filling that with ribbon quilting like what I did in the gold border, and then went with continuing the piano keys out to the border using the dark green thread. They match up with the piano keys in the white area and just give it a nice texture as you sure can't see what is quilted anyway....I'll post a picture when it is finished and thanks again everyone for all of your input - it was very helpful when every now and then you just can't decide what to do....

Archived