Thread suggestion??? Pictures added......again

I am finishing up a quilt that has rather wide borders on the outside but am wondering...I can't decide whether to use white or a matching dark green thread to do swirls and snowflakes in the outside border. The fabric is dark green with little holly leaves and peppermints and is busy so I am worried that if I use green it won't show but white would look like snow and echoes what I did in the center of the quilt, but would show up well. This quilt will be in large shows so I want to do it right...what do you all think? Green or White thread?

I usually tend to blend just like Heidi cause I you said it would look like snow ? I just used a silver glide--not the metalic glisten -- on a winter quilt and it looked amazing--sort of like a bit of snow frosting with a tiny bit of sparkle. I was very happy that I'd used that accent on her quilt . It dfid not take away from the piecing or the embroiderey.

As long as the border fabric in not so busy with white scattered in it, and you what the quilting to show then use white. But if the fabric is really busy with a fair amount of white then sometimes the thread and quilting design just get jumbled up with the fabric. Does that make sense? Maybe a thread of a light green may work and show but not compete. Just my thoughts

Blend is the choice, with the green glide to highlight here and there??

too light would take away from the focal part of the quilt and bring the attention to the borders. The almost metalic will show the quilting enough to show the pattern .

Here is a picture of the quilt border along with some thread options I am thinking of....

2257918280104810669S425x425Q85.jpg[/url

The far right is a metalic that looks good but since I haven't used it anywhere else in the quilt, not sure if just in the border would work...the large cone of so fine is mainly what I have used in the balance of the quilt...

2203549490104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

thanks for your input.....:)

Originally posted by Myrna Ficken

Personally I would do a bead-board with the light green thread. The fabric is very pretty, very busy and (I think) the white will be too much.

I like Myrna's suggestion, now that I see the quilt. I would do a 'fancy' beadboard, though, instead of just one line evenly spaced apart, I'd do double lines and alternate the spaces between a longer and a shorter distance. Looks like a very classy quilt!

Joan, what do you mean by alternating the beadboard lines between longer and shorter distances? I have already done a regular one line beadboard between the holly leaves and the green border....

I think I will need to separate the beadboards with something like maybe a small quilted border to separate the two...originally thinking I would use a stencil and do large swirls with scattered snowflakes....but the beadboard would help to frame the quilt without taking away from the center...

It is usually easier for me to just make a decision and go with it but I want this one to be special.....

Thanks everyone for your valuable input!!!

Archived