Hartley Fence

Teri

Hi Teri,

Make sure that all of the connections are tight. The circle maker on the fence, the arm that attaches to the axle and even your axles themselves need to be tight so there is no other movement except a circle. Hope this helps. :)

Take care,

Hi Teri,

If all of your connections are tight as Mark stated make sure you are keeping your pressure the same all the way around the circle. It's like running a spatula around the inside rim of a bowl. You need to keep the spatula against the bowl. I do have a workbook on the Hartley Fence as well.

Myrna

Hi Mark and Myrna,

Thank you for replying. I have checked the connections on the arm that attaches to the axle. It's tight. The circle maker on the fence is tight. (Does it matter what position this circle maker is in? It's kind of at a slant) I don't understand about the axles being tight.

Myrna, I own your book. I've taken a 2-hour class from you. I know you are out of the country and I really appreciate your reply.

Teri

The bracket holding the wheels that go on the carriage, the wheels that the "arm" attaches to, was very wobbly. I took the lexan table top off (I'd forgotten I could do that!) and tightened those two screws very tight. My circles are WAY better, but there's still a bit of an oval. It's acceptable for the current project, then I can fine tune it after I do these 17 wreaths. I think tightening those two screws will help with other stitching, as well.

Teri

Hi all,

I actually got my circles to be round (surprise), but am trying the Baptist fan. The first one is great but after that the 9 and 12 positions seem to become 8 and 1. The subsequent rows are all lining up but continue to be off about "an hour".

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Alyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alyn,

For making circles------

Make sure all of you screws are tight.

Do you have the adapter for the idler arm?

Remember to keep the motion going out like scraping the inside rim of a bowl with spatula. This will give you perfect circles. Sorry I have not responded sooner I have been out of town.

Alan, For the BF I am a little unclear as to what you mean please give me a call and I can hepl you. Call my cell 435-229-2703

Myrna

Myrna,

I'm new at this. My Liberty is still in boxes in my entryway, but I've taken Dawn's classes and am ready to get going!

I think that I want a Hartley Fence. Would like to find one used, but need to know a few things. Does the fence fit all APQS machines? What is the adapter for the idler arm? Is there anything else I should look for if I get the chance to purchase a used one?

Thanks!

Mary

Buda, TX

Marycontrary,

I'm very close to you, in Bee Cave, just west of Austin. I have a Millie and a Hartley Fence. At the moment I'm in my Christmas rush for my normal job, but I'd be happy to have you come at take a look at my set up in a few weeks. Just let me know.

Mary in Bee Cave.

Mary - That is very nice of you to offer to help Mary..... (oh how confussing)!

It really does help to SEE the Hartley Fence used, in action, all makes

perfect sense then!

Alyn - Don't give up on those Baptist Fans! Myrna is "THE" go to gal for

anything to do with the Hartley - she knows her stuff!:D Good Luck!

Mary

The Hartley fence does work on all the APQS machines. The adapter is used on Millies and the Freedoms where the front wheels are moved forward. However, I don't believe you will need it for your Liberty. Someone had a fence for sale here on the chat recently. Have fun with your new machine.

Myrna

Myrna -- Thanks for the response and information. Everyone is so helpful on this site.

Mary in BeeCaves -- I really appreciate the offer. I'll take you up on it after the Holidays. I'm kinda busy too -- need to get my Liberty assembled, need to ppp, need to finish quilts for Christmas gifts and hopefully quilt them on "Myrtle", and going to Iowa for Christmas and to help with care of granddaughter during holiday break. Will send a u2u when things slow down. It will be super to know someone in the area with an APQS machine!:):):)

Mary

Buda, TX

Myrna -- Thanks for the response and information. Everyone is so helpful on this site.

Mary in BeeCaves -- I really appreciate the offer. I'll take you up on it after the Holidays. I'm kinda busy too -- need to get my Liberty assembled, need to ppp, need to finish quilts for Christmas gifts and hopefully quilt them on "Myrtle", and going to Iowa for Christmas and to help with care of granddaughter during holiday break. Will send a u2u when things slow down. It will be super to know someone in the area with an APQS machine!:):):)

Mary

Buda, TX

Marycontrary,

Love the name! Yes, it will be good to know another quilter in the area. I do not intend to quilt for others, so am no competition. And frankly, I'm not all that good yet, but when I quit my day job in March, I intend to practice my fingers out, LOL.

But I do have the Hartley fence, and I have quilted a quilt with all interlocking circles.

Anyway - just give me a shout out whenever you're ready! I'm almost always home. And I love Myrtle's name.

Mary in Bee Cave

Ladies:

I haven't read everything on this post but I just wanted to say that I just took Myrna's class on the Hartley Fence -- boy, it is well worth the money! She gives you lots of tips and I feel so much more comfortable with my HF now. I played with it on Sunday and found out -- heck, this thing is amazing!

If you don't have her book, you need to get it. She has tons of pictures and lots of ideas.

Myrna: I had fun and you are awesome. It was great meeting you and I hope you had a good trip back home. Thanks for all of your help!

Hey Myrna, I'm sure you won't remember this but I was in a class of yours last April at MQX (samplers blocks) and was asking you about the Hartley fence. You were looking for one in the building to help me but there wasn't one....anyway, I had asked you if they had classes on the Hartley fence and you said that MQX thought there wasn't enough interest....I AM SO HAPPY to see they have changed their minds! I signed up for your Hartley Fence class at MQX for this year and am looking forward to it. I have had my fence for over a year and never used it....I can't wait!

Sincerely

Diana (from Michigan)

Hi Jim,

I teach here in my studio in Southern Utah and I travel quite a bit. Where are you located? The next classes I have scheduled are next month in the Atlanta area. Host are welcome to contact me to schedule classes.

I post classes here on the APQS, on my website www.aquilterschoice.com and other chats. If you like I can send you email and let you know my schedlue as they come up.

Myrna

Archived