Remember your first efforts?

Remember the first time you tried to ride a bike without training wheels? Remember the first time you tried to write your name?

After many weeks of adjusting tension, breaking a needle because of putting the wrong size thread with needle, breaking threads, finding loopies on the backing side, tears and a few frustrated grrrs.........My first quilt is finally off of the machine! The work is far from perfect and shows that it is a first effort. Some stitching has to be frogged (rip-it rip-it) and redone but even with all of that I feel like I have accomplished something. I stuck with it and have learned so much.

The quilt is for my grand daughter, age 7, who has been asking for a quilt since I got the machine. She won't mind the beginner look at all. In face her smile will be a wonderful blue ribbon in my book of memories.

I live in a very small town and my dealer is about 100+ miles away. She has been very helpful by email and phone calls, though. Thanks, Beth. I just want to keep at it and get better and better. After restitching what i frogged out and binding the quilt I will post a picture.

Congratulations Sharon, it is a good feeling to see a finished quilt! I think I shook and worried so much that I would make a mistake that I did make mistakes all over my first customer quilt. We would love to see a picture of your quilt if you don't mind sharing it with us....:)

I kept my very first practice piece of muslin where I tried lots of stuff - nice little square circles, etc....:D

Congratulations!!

I have my first longarm quilt. It's a Christmas quilt that is just stippled. I look at the jerky curves and the lines that inersect, ify tension, and remember how I struggled with it. It is still loved by my grandchildren and I use it to show potential quilters where I started.

Colton claimed it when he was little cause of the red as his at gramma's house. His color code was red. I should explain. My middle daughter has triplet boys that 2 are identical and the 3rd not much different., When they were little it was hard to tell them apart so each had a color, braclets to start, toe nail polish sometimes, and their clothes were often their color. So everything that was their color they claimed as theirs.

We have all been right where you are now, more than once because I've had spells where the machine was stored for several years at a time and also when I traded up from a mid arm to a long arm. It was all new to me again. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Hi Sharon,

This job is a wonderful avenue to art, great people, monetary gain if that's what you want, and personal satisfaction. I can't think of anything I would rather be doing. And another plus is this wonderful place where people celebrate the good times with you, support you through the bad times, and always encourage you to take the next step.

Now I'm all sniffly.......

:)

Hi Sharon,

I'm right there with you; just took my first real quilt off my mid-arm and been so frustrated. Congratulations......you completed it! Be proud, this was probably one of the hardest quilts to do. Learning how to load it , learning the machine, the thread problems...now it's off the machine, lets fix the booboos on the dm and bind this baby. Whew........that IS an accomplishment!

Sharon you are way ahead of me; I haven't figured out how to get my picture posted yet - actually it's a time thing- the instructions are in my farovites. And.........you have an APQS up and running your home and I almost do......stay tuned.

Donna

Guest Linda S

I still have my first practice piece. I pulled it out while cleaning my studio and have cut out the part where I wrote my name and the date -- I think I'll frame it for posterity. :P

Archived