so happy in Oregon

Hi, I just bought my first Utilmate 1 used machine. Can't wait to start quilting!!!! I have been renting a Gamill for the last 6 years. Anyone out there use rulers and can tell me a good place to buy them? The machine has been in storage for the last 5 years, living with mice all over it. A little rust on the frame, but when I tried the machine she started up just fine. Sewed wonderful after I got the tension fixed, a little stiff to move. Is there anything I should be looking for as far as mice are concerned?

I would open her up if you can and make sure there are no nests or little things the mice may have stored inside....we just had a class on our APQS machines at MQX and they did find a bunch of jellybeans that mice had stored inside a machine once - who knew?

As far a rulers go - my favorites are Deloas, try this website: http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/

I like her boomerangs for curves and my other fav is the itty bitty at http://store.offtheedgequilting.com/ittybitty.html

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and congrats on getting your machine set up!

Advice on mice? I guess look everywhere, blow everythig out with an air compressor, and watch for baby mice?;)

As for rulers--Pat Noonan in Salem is an independent associate for Quilter's Rule and anything you like on their website can be looked at and demo-ed. She is active on the chat and such a smart and sweet woman!

And for the best welcome--Moxies!! You must come to a meeting when you can.

Welcome to the forum;) I was recently considering purchasing an 11 year old Ultimate 1 that was well cared for. I phoned Mark at APQS to ask his advice. My understanding is that you can send your machine in to APQS to be serviced for a very reasonable amount. They will check it over, clean it and replace worn out parts such as bearings and bushings. Since your machine was unused for a very long time, my guess is that you have some dried out bearings. You may also have faulty wiring due to the mice and that may cause a short or fire. Just a thought, if your bearings in your wheels have to be replaced, you may want to consider the M & M's for a smoother ride. Give APQS a call; these machines are built to last forever!

Donna

Thank you everyone for all of the good advice. I will check her out really well before any quilting. I had been thinking about upgrading to the M&M's for smoother ride after reading lots of comments. I can't wait to get quilting. My husband is adding on to my sewing room so I will have a room just for the machine and he wants to add a cutting counter as well. I think he is excited as I am. I would love to attend a Moxie meeting sometime. I will be reading and asking questions, so look for me out there.

Lynn

Hey Lynn! Welcome! I got an e-mail from Steve last night that you had purchased the machine, and I'm so happy for you. I'm sure that you are going to love it. I just know that you are going to give Steve's mom's machine a good and loving home.

Feel free to drop me a line or give me a call if I can help you out.

Hi Lynn,

I am new to the forum too. Don't be hesitant about asking any questions. Everyone here is so helpful. Glad that you have contact with Beth too. I have learned a lot from her.

Hope to meet you sometime and to see your posts and pictures here.

Sharon

thank you everyone for making me feel so welcomed. Beth I will be calling you soon. I spent the morning finishing 5 quilt tops for I would have something to quilt when I get the machine all set up and cleaned really well. See some of you soon.

Lynn

thank you everyone for making me feel so welcomed. Beth I will be calling you soon. I spent the morning finishing 5 quilt tops for I would have something to quilt when I get the machine all set up and cleaned really well. See some of you soon.

Lynn

Welcome Lynn. I hope to meet you at one of the Moxie meetings in the future. This is a great place to come with questions and everyone here is so supportive. And if I can help you in any way re: rulers, I would be happy to do that. Have fun with your new machine. ;)

Archived