new Christmas Angels for your projects

Been busy posting new Christmas Angels for your projects. I have a ton of angels to post and share. You will need to clean up the smudges on a few of the postcards. If you have a graphics program, like Photoshop or Gimp, you should be fine! Enjoy! And, if you use these in a quilt, please post a picture of your work so we can enjoy it with you!

http://nettiebakersfabricblocksandquilts.blogspot.com

Guest Linda S

Nettie - don't these come from cds sold by Dover Publishing? Are you sure it's okay to be copying and posting them on the internet? Just don't want to see you get in trouble.

Hi Linda! No, they do not come from any person's DVD or CD or book. I purchase antique postcard collections. The ones that I am sharing, I own. I am sharing only the ones that are in public domain. The ones that are still under copyright, I don't put up for sharing. I don't know if Dover has their own original, as I do, of the cards, but I am sure that they do. I have been collecting for over ten years and have quite a lot of postcards. I am still collecting, too, and plan on sharing the new ones I acquire on my blog, too. Thanks for asking!

Originally posted by Linda S

Nettie - don't these come from cds sold by Dover Publishing? Are you sure it's okay to be copying and posting them on the internet? Just don't want to see you get in trouble.

How can you be so rude as to post this? Is there something wrong with you? You first ask if these come from Dover, and any knowledgeable person would know that they don't. And then you ask a very stupid question, and you assume she is breaking the law! How dare you assume evil of her. I know her and she is the most honest person I know. Once I post this, I will be in trouble with her, but I don't care! I want to come to her defense. Are you jealous of her? What is your problem that you would post something like that, asking her if it is okay for her to be "copying and posting them", and that assumes that she is posting things from Dover? You are screwed lady! You owe her an apology for making that smear. That is what you are doing, posting that, just trying to smear her. You should be ashamed of yourself. And if they kick me off this blog, I don't care. Someone needs to tell you that they are aware of what you are doing. How dare you try to harm a simple person!!! - Dan

Guest Linda S

Here ya go Dan:

Thanks Dan - If you have been around these quilting boards long enough, you will know that people get really riled about copyright. I happen to own [Edited to say] a copy of these designs, but I bought them from Dover -- I had to pay for them. I would never consider distributing them on the internet. If she does indeed own the right to do this, then bless her. I simply asked her, as stated right there, if she was sure, because I didn't want to see her get into trouble. I'm very sorry that you didn't read the entire post. I am not ashamed of myself, nor do I believe you should be kicked off the board for voicing your opinion. Bring it.

Linda

If the postcard is more than X years old (the standard varies based on the country, but one example is like a hundred years after the designer's death) then it's probably copyright free. What Dover may have done is simply collected these, and then sold the collection. (You can sell something that's copyright free, and that doesn't necessarily give Dover the copyright on it.) (For example, the movie His Girl Friday is out of copyright, and you can still buy it on DVD, it just means the producer of the DVD didn't have to pay anyone for the right to put it on DVD and sell it.)

Sometimes it's literally impossible to track who has the copyright, as well, which means that while it isn't copyright free, it's very, very, very unlikely that anyone will collect. (Other times, it's not so impossible, so them just being "old" isn't necessarily just an excuse - a lot of the "old" postcard companies simply merged and spawned new branches and then re-merged, and googling will usually discover that kind of thing.)

This site: http://www.ukexpert.co.uk/vb/showthread.php/1832-Copyright-on-old-postcards-still-valid-or-not - while it refers to law in the UK, is a pretty good summary of the issue, and the one that I usually referred customers with this question back to.

I don't know the protocol on the "report" button, but I have reported this post daj85202 as being an unacceptable attack on our members. Did he continue the rant and phone and threaten her too???:mad:

FYI Nettie, your friend did a great disservice to your business. I was going to place an order from you.....but NOT after that attack. There are probably many people out there that feel the way I do. We have discussions, are respectful people, and treat people as such.

Good luck with your business now.

Donna

Thanks for speaking up, Donna.

I had been thinking on a reply as well letting Nettie know that this person has done nothing but harm to her presence on this forum. I guess he (yes, it's a guy) not only threatened Linda over the phone but also called her work (University of Oregon) to complain! Can you believe it??

I wanted to let Nettie know that freebies online are always looked at with suspicion. There ain't nothin' free. And she has not established herself here with any information so we have learned to hold back. Even her site has nothing about her, her location, or a photo. This could be anyone with any agenda. We just don't know.

Nettie, this has poisoned your business and see if you can rein in the nasty guy--who I am sure thinks he was doing you a service. But no normal-thinking person would take it off-line, hunt down someone's phone number, threaten them, and then call their work to rant about a comment that was only meant to help. Sheesh!

What a world.....

Gosh, Linda, I hope that you don't take this guy seriously.

We all know that your were just trying to help

this Nettie so she doesn't get herself

in trouble with the copyright-police. Unlike the quilting police,

designers have lawyers.

And even if it is not copyrighted, why was he so threatening

in his response to your simple question?

I am appalled at his response and then this guy went

out of his way to get an account on APQS just so he

could blast you. Who does that?

His anger was so out of control it carried him to do

the research that it takes to get

your phone number,call you and then call your place of employment.

That is just wrong in so many ways.

Makes me skiddish about putting ANY personal information on our profile page..........too many crackpots out there and this one sure spoiled this forum.

I wondered about where these patterns were coming from myself. I didn't order anything, but it all seemed a little "off" to me when it was first posted. :(

Hi All. I am perplexed. There was a fight? Over what? And to those of you who were "going to order" I sell nothing. I have no business and have nothing to sell. Are you guys looking at the right blog? I just give away free vintage images that I own. I have been a big time collector of them and enjoy them. Not everyone can afford them, that are sometimes expensive and I like to share. I do know who Dan is. He is a disabled vet and I think he has anger issues. We have helped him alot, but I don't see him ever doing the things that are mentioned here that he is supposed to have done. For those of you posting that I have damaged my business, no, I have not...I have no business. I just have a blog where I post vintage images. So, I don't understand what it is that someone was going to buy...there never has been anything for sale. I give things away. I think you have been misinformed and maybe never went to my site. I promote printing your own fabric for your own quilts. ???

Sorry you guys think that something is for sale. There never was anything for sale. Linda, I hope you are okay. I don't understand what happened and if you need to email me, please do so off the list. I also don't approve of anyone attacking anyone.

As far as the items that I have, what I post is in public domain. Those people who know what that is and understand that they can use public domain for their own uses are enjoying the images. In this economy, it's expensive to buy. I also don't think that people should be making money from others work, even if it is in the public domain. So, on my site, it's free.

Nothing funny about me or who I am. Most of my readers know that I am in Phoenix and on my way to Virginia.

Let's all take a big breath, calm down and do some sewing.

Archived