Ripping feathers! What is your technique?

OK, so it takes less than a minute to stitch the spine of a feather across the top of a queen size quilt, and then it takes maybe 5 more minutes to go back and stitch the feathers.

The feathers didn't really turn out great and so now I'm ripping and IT TAKES SO DANG LONG!!!

I wish there was a stitch evaporator button!

I'm just using my seam ripper and ripping out almost stitch by stitch. Is there any faster way?

Guest Linda S

Anne - there is. You have to have strong fingers and not be timid. Rip one of the stitches. Pick out a couple stitches next to it. Move down the line of stitching a couple of inches and do the same thing. What you're looking for is to create just enough loose bobbin thread that when you've broken the line of stitching in several places, you reach under and grab those little places of bobbin thread with your fingers and RIIIIPPPPPP! You can then just pick up the top thread. Don't be shy - the likelihood that you'll harm the quilt is very slim. I learned this technique years ago watching Renae Haddadin quilt.

When I must frog (and I do from time to time) I use a dental pick. This is a "must have" in every quilter's tool box. I grab ahold of every 3-4 stiches and yank away and that pulls the top thread out.

Also, the "snip" the bobbin thread with embroidery snips and then yanking the top thread (repeat repeat repeat) works wonders, too.

Anne I'm with you on the ripping. I got a quilt that was more than like a flag flying in the wind. I called the customer and told her how wavy it was and she said please it's for an auction could you please quilt it a few pleats won't matter. Well half way thru it got much worse as I figured and I took it off and yes 11 hours later it is back in the owners hands!!!! I never thought I would be done. I've heard you guys say stop right away well the customer didn't want me to stop and finally I told her my name's not going on something that looks like this. When she came she thanked me I quess this isn't the first one that was wonky. She said she will bring it back fixed right. RIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIPRIP

I just ripped out an entire pass on a small baby quilt because of a tension issue I never noticed. I was able to finish it and it came out nice.

I've been wanting to try feathers but I'm so afraid to ruin a quilt so I bought a quilt top on ebay for $25. It is nothing heirloom but It's going to get feathers....good bad or indifferent!

KathyD;)

Kathy,

When I was practicing my feathers, in order to save on fabric, I made my practice piece out of muslin for the backing and top (and pieces of extra batting in the middle), and used a contrasting thread. When that top was filled, I put another piece of muslin on the top and practiced some more. You would not have to change thread unless you wanted to. You could change the bobbin thread if you wanted a clear look at any bobbin issues. I was able to do this with several top layers without any problems.

Although I still need to practice, I finally took the plunge and started on "real" quilts, even using contrasting thread - how brave can one be? We often tend to be our own worst critics and see every little fault!

Happy feathering.

Nancy

Nancy,

I do agree with you on how we can be our own worst critic. I took an online course and they suggested polar fleece for practice and it works well because the thread sinks in enough that you don't notice some of the baubles. The problem is where do you go when it is all the same piece. I need a block and sashing, etc. to help me focus on staying in the lines.

My mom's friend takes all my practice pieces and makes tote bags with them. She is looking for some new pieces....she may get my ebay quilt!!

Thanx for the ideas,

KathyD

Archived