popping noise with titanium needle?

I was playing around this morning with batik top & bottom and I tried one of my new titanium needles (size 3.5). It was making popping noises in the fabric so I figured I had a "dud". I changed it for another titanium needle and the popping continued. I changed it for one of my regular 3.5 needle and no more popping.

Anyone know why? It doesn't sound good for the fabric...

Thanks!!

Nicole

Hmm. there's a whole lotta letters here...they are Groz-Beckert 100/16 DP x5 SAN 6 RG.

( and I dunno what any of THAT means):P

Do the ball point needles harm the fabric? Or are the sharps just "better" for batiks? I know for piecing I use sharps because I was told to - never questioned it. Now I'm curious...

Thanks for the help!

-Nicole

Ball points are for knits, so they don't "cut" the knitted thread, which will cause it to unravel on clothing (Why they'd sell them in longarm sizes is kind of beyond me) but it won't actually *hurt* woven material, the machine just has to work a tiny bit harder to pierce the fabric & layers. On a knit material, it kind of rolls the threads to the side, rather than the slicing motion that a sharp needle has. It might also leave a slightly bigger hole, but I'm not too sure about that.

Guest Linda S

Actually, you all may be just as surprised as I was when, two days ago, I learned that all of the Groz Beckert Titanium San 6 needles (the ones that fit our machines) are actually "thin" ballpoint needles. They simply don't make them in sharp. The thin ballpoint is supposed to be stronger and harder than any other needle besides those with a diamond tip. Yep, they do make a bit of a popping noise on batiks. They also make a popping noise when they've gotten dull. Will I stop using them? Nope. I cannot stand the huge holes the MR4s put in my quilts. I've been buying the Groz Becker Titanium 134 San 6 needles since about a month after I got my machine, and I'm not changing now.

Originally posted by Linda S

Actually, you all may be just as surprised as I was when, two days ago, I learned that all of the Groz Beckert Titanium San 6 needles (the ones that fit our machines) are actually "thin" ballpoint needles. They simply don't make them in sharp. The thin ballpoint is supposed to be stronger and harder than any other needle besides those with a diamond tip. Yep, they do make a bit of a popping noise on batiks. They also make a popping noise when they've gotten dull. Will I stop using them? Nope. I cannot stand the huge holes the MR4s put in my quilts. I've been buying the Groz Becker Titanium 134 San 6 needles since about a month after I got my machine, and I'm not changing now.

The same for me. I have much better luck with the titanium needles and I don't like the big holes the others leave either!

I always use the Singer needles that are recomended for the machine. Yes, the titanium needles are stronger then the Singers, but they also break just as well as the Singer and leave a much BIGGER hole then the Singer needles. Yikes.....................................zeke.........

• 3 months later...

I was using the gold titanium needles and had not only "popping" noises, but what sounded like metal hitting metal when I would stitch. I checked timing and everything was fine. No nicks in the bobbin case or on my hook assembly. I talked with Bob about my problems and he said not to use the titaniums. Apparently they don't break the same way the "regular" ones do and they can cause a lot of damage. I switched to the "non-titanium" needles and I've quilted three quilts without any problems.

I had nothing but problems with Titanium needles. Couldn't make them work for anything! It made me crazy. Finally got to the bottom of the problem when I was talking to Dawn about it. She said that some APQS machines can use the Titanium and some just can't. APQS doesn't really recommend them and doesn't use them at the factory at all.

The Groz-Beckert steel needles are still ok. She gave me lots of other reasons they are not recommended -- it was a huge education for me. Talk to her about it, I'm sure I can't explain it all exactly.

I know Superior Threads loves Titanium and pushes us to buy them but just know that the steel needles may be the ones you have to stick with.

Archived