Larry Liner..for SID

larryrr

• 3 weeks later...

Hello "Larry"

I just sent you an e-mail, but I got your automatic reply. I guess I'm as paranoid as you are about viruses, etc. and I don't fill out anything with my name, etc. and send it out there not really knowing where it is going. If you want you can U2U me. Just curious about your SID tool.

Thanks much.:o

Guest Linda S

Barb - it's a tool to help you Stitch in the Ditch. Larry apparently has one, but doesn't want to share pictures. There are several on the market now -- Megan Best sells the Best SID Ruler at: http://www.bestquilter.com Tracey Browning has an applique and stitch guide that is very useful. I got one of her's at Columbia River Quilting: http://www.columbiariverquilting.com Donita Reeve also makes a stitch guide that you can get at Columbia River.

Linda

MMM why would you need this tool? How does it help you?

I just use a straight ruler on the diagonals and nothing on the horizontal and verticle seams. I used to use a straight edge on all of them but after awhile it's just easier and faster to just stitch them. jeri

Guest Linda S

Larry sent me some pictures of his new tool today. While I think I might still prefer the SID tool I already use, his is very interesting and looks like it also might be very useful for microstippling, applique outline, etc. He was having problems posting pics here so I will ask him if it's okay to do it for him so you can get a look at it.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Larry was having trouble loading pictures of the tool he designed, so I thought I'd give him a hand. Here are some pictures and the information on how to order. This looks like it could be very handy.

P3130006.jpg

P32600284.jpg

P31300022.jpg

P22200172.jpg

P32600302.jpg

Order info:

Hello and thank you for your interest in the Larry Liner....I think it is a great tool for SID....I invented it when I purchased my APQS Millennium and was unable to hold a ruler and keep the needle in the ditch and control the LA at the same time...... I am not the most coordinated man in the world. I knew there had to be an easier way. I think you will find it very helpful. The cost of the Larry Liner is $40 + $5 shipping and I give a 30 day, money back guarantee, less $5 for shipping. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at the numbers below.

The Larry Liner allows you to SID, a quarter of an inch

> from the ditch as well as SID in the ditch. You can use the Larry Liner

> on both the large and small longarms if the machines have a 1/2 inch hopping foot (The Larry Liner can be used on any brand of longarm).

> The tool loads very easy; you simply slide the cut out area over the shaft

> of the hopping foot and lower it onto the hopping foot directly over the

> fabric. The knobs on top of the tool allows you to move the longarm as you

> stitch. (This tool, of course, cannot be used when working from the back

> of your longarm while creating a pantogram. If you are working on a small

> intricate pattern that requires precise control, the tools are very

> beneficial as you are closer to your fabric and have more control because

> of the knobs on the tool. This tool is especially useful when working on

> very small stippling. I have found that it helps if you have a stitch

> regulator and a base extension. A tip for guiding the tool is to use the wide base and don't

> press down too hard on the tool....this will cause your hopping foot to

> clatter on top of the tool. It is like holding the LA loosely and not

> gripping and forcing. It makes you tired and it is not necessary. If you

> force the tool down, it could get under the hopping foot.

>

> If you SID......Once you have the tool placed in position on the hopping

> foot, line the marked lines on the tool directly over the ditch and keep

> the line on the ditch, you will have a precise stitch either in the ditch

> or a quarter an inch from the seam depending on the line that you use. The

> line offset from the center is the line you put on the seam to obtain a

> quarter inch from the seam. I must emphasize that you need to watch the line and not the needle

(look where you are going and not where you have been) I have attached some pictures of the Larry Liner for you to view.

>

> Please call or e-mail me with any questions you might have and I will be

> happy to discuss with you. Have fun quilting.

> Larry Randolph

> Quilter's Quarters

> 306 Wahl Street

> Crosby, Texas 77532

> 281-328-9600 quilt shop or 281-328-2371 home (anytime during the day)

> quilt8062@earthlink.net

Hi Linda....

I also received pictures of Larry's SID tool. I think I might order it. What I like about it is the fact you don't have to hold on to the ruler and steer the machine at the same time. When you post the pictures (with Larry's permission) I'm sure everyone will know what I mean. I think it is also very important to read his instructions regarding the use of the tool.

Does anyone out there have this tool?

Thank you Linda Steller for posting Larry's pictures!

Larry---great design!!! I bet your orders go through the roof. Very ingenious design with the handles. I assume the other keyhole is to do diagonals? Can you push as well as pull with it?

Guess what I want for Christmas?!!

Linda Rech

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

Okay - I got my Larry's Liner. This is a very cool tool. About the only trouble I had with it was trying to bring my thread to the top with the tool in place -- easily solved by bringing the thread up before you place the tool around the foot. The only suggestion I have for improvement is that I might like it better if it were clear plastic, so I could see through it better. I might still prefer the Best SID ruler for SID, as not all of my customers' seams are accurate and very straight. However, this is a cool substitute for microdrive handles. It makes controlling the hopping foot very easy. Yes, you do need to use it with an extended base so that you can keep it nice and flat, but I didn't have any trouble with the hopping foot trying to hop out of its place.

Way to go Larry! This is a nice tool. Both thumbs up!

Linda

Hi Linda....I also received my tool. Have been busy getting ready for a trip so haven't had a chance to try it.

How did it push the machine? Did it move easily? Have you tried to do anything other than SID with it?

I'm glad to hear the hopping foot stayed put. That was one of my concerns. I would think it would be nice not to have to hold the tool with one hand and the machine with the other. That was the main reason i purchased one.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Linda S

Hi Pat - I don't notice it jumping up and down. It stays flat, pretty much like any ruler. It just fits around the hopping foot.

Linda

Thank you Linda for posting this pictures.

As some others, I can not imagine, how the hoping foot does not jump out of the hole from that gadget. Or how the hoping foot does not hit the ruler as the hoping foot is moving up and down.

At the moment I use tiny one from Sherry, which works best for me. Every other ruler I use I hit the ruler with the hoping foot, giving me always nearly a heart attack.

Besides using it for SID it looks like a good alternative for the micro handles which I have dismounted again. Never used them, have always been in the way of my sight.

Do you know by chance, whether Larry can be paid through paypal?

Thank for sharing your experience :)

Thanks for an

Linda,

Thank you so much for the great pictures. It's amazing to me to see what the men invent for our machines. Seems like a nice alternative to the micro-drive that I purchased. It is hard to put on, so can't easily remove and put back on all the time. I leave mine off so I can see.

Seems like we would HAVE to see through it though. Otherwise, you would sew over something you shouldn't. Wouldn't you?

Hugs, Joy

• 3 weeks later...

Could very well be the best seen yet! How handy this little gadget will be. Kudos for the ingenious design. I'm thinking the reason for it not jumping out of the guide is that the stroke of the hopping foot is just a little lower than the height of the liner. (Unless pushed or pulled too fast for the machine to keep up with you of course.)

The numbers I see on the liner leads me to believe they are the copyright reg. #. Having gone through the protection process of products and knowing several pattent attorneys I would recommend Larry apply for a patent and trademark as well. These will protect his design more than just the copyright which is the just beginning of the process.

Top of the list for "Iwantees"!

Can't wait to get into LAing.

Archived