Starting a Circle Lord pattern (or Panto)

I just saw the post from Lynn - where her CL Baptist Fan pattern just ended perfectly at the end of her quilt.

This raises a question - Does everyone start a pattern, such as CL long board, at the beginning of the pattern, or do you try to figure out how many repeats will go in and then make an adjustment as to where you start your pattern?

Inquiring minds want to know! Is there a calculation that you use?

I don't even try to figure out how many times I will have to do the pattern, I just go for it. Maybe that's lazy but it's what I do. Usually a few rows in I start calculating in my head how many it should take and about how many I have left to do. probably getting tired of the repetitiveness by that point and am giving my brain something to do. :)

Same as everybody else explained when quilting a panto or board. I do however keep track of how far I can go on a bobbin. If I can make 2 passes with a bobbin with a small amount of thread left over..then i change to a new bobbin and continue on for the next 2 passes. This keeps me from having to start/stop in the middle of a row.

With the newer version of the swirls board, there's actually a "starter" row that you use once at the beginning, so you're not trying to work across the middle. It has a straight line and about a third of a row before the two "full" rows. I don't know if this is something that he's going to do for all of them eventually, but it really helps with lining up the rows as I go forward.

Archived