Bad Bad Bad

I'm having thread issue that I have never had before. This quilt is the same fabric top and bottom. I'm doing a swirl pattern with my IQ. It is happening at the exact point of the design each time. I can tell by the sound of the machine that something is wrong. I stop it and see this. Then I frog it out and restart without a problem until it gets to this point in the next swirl. I really don't think this is an IQ issue. I'm using Omni top and bottom.

post--1346190716429_thumb.jpg

Cleaned out the bobbin case and hook area. It was still happening. I ended up loosening the quilt till it was about a hammock. Tighten up the top thread and made sure it was seated in the disks too. It helped but still had a problem at least once per row. I've given up for the night. Thanks for the replies.

I had this happen on a recent quilt that had a lot of loft. Your machine may be having trouble sensing the quilt sandwich, since it is the same fabric top/bottom. I would try tightening your quilt sandwich (in all directions), reducing your stitch length (to a higher number), slowing down, check for lint in bobbin case and check bobbin tension, tighten top tension.

I ended up changing bobbins and bobbin cases. I cleaned again...then again. Changed needle and fiddled with the thread tension. Some where in there it got better. Each time I changed one thing, I got a bit farther without a break. Change something else, a little farther. By the end of the huge quilt, the only time I would have to stop was to change out bobbins. Thanks again for the help.

Guest Linda S

I used to get this kind of mess from pre-wound bobbins -- too much spin in the bobbin case. I'm assuming you wound your own bobbins. Check how your bobbins fit on the spindle of your bobbin winder. If the bobbins are slipping when they are winding, you're probably getting uneven tension in your bobbins. It's just more pronounced going around a curve or where there is more stress on the stitching line. Do you have a Towa Gauge? If so, put your bobbin in it and then give a stead LONG pull to it and see how the tension goes over a distance of several yards of thread. It may give you some wonky readings.

Honestly I think your top and bottom tension are hosed up and you need to be started from ground zero with adjusting. Start over at Zero --- Tension ---

Your tension is probably not quite right...but have no fear...you can fix it.

Tension: Always start with the bobbin first. I use the drop test method. - when doing the drop test, hold it up over your hand, a table or over the quilt top and watch that the bobbin drops (rolls) slowly and slides down at a **consistent** smooth rate of speed (kinda like a spider) Not too loose (fast) and not too tight (slow). when you get a straight line on back that means your top thread is not pulling your bobbin up into the batting. After you adjust your bobbin tension so it drops like I described above, then do another stitching test with your machine. If you still get the straight line on the bobbin thread that definitely means your top tension is too loose. Give that puppy a good full crank around clockwise. And test again. I would continue to tighten the top tension until you start to see a teeeny weeny peek of the bobbin thread in the hole the stitch makes. If you see the bobbin thread peeking inside, make a 1/4 turn adjustment to the top tension (loosening -counter clockwise) and that should be perfect. (well, it works for me..!)

Same place in the design everytime. Make sure your wheels/rails are clean. Check your IQ drive wheels, make sure they are clean also. Check to ensure the rubber on the drive wheels are intact and not coming off (there was a bad batch (glue) of wheels a couple years ago). Check to make sure the little roller (blue) that checks for thread breakage/empty bobbins is threaded correctly and that the thread isn't wrapping around the spindle instead of the disk. I would also follow Shanna's tension directions.

Archived