Your Favorite Batting for T-Shirt Quilts?

I guess it depends on what brand blend you use. I made a t-shirt quilt recently and used a thin cotton batt (Quilters Dream select) -- otherwise, it would have turned out very heavy. I think the QD blend is thin also, but Hobbs 80/20 is thicker. I'd go for thin and light, whatever batt you use.

I make and quilt ALOT of t-shirt quilts and usually use poly (mostly Pellon Legacy Poly) and have used QD select loft and once the request loft for a HUGE king size quilt. My reasoning is that t-shirt quilts are so heavy to begin with and poly is the lightest, plus when they do get washed they won't shrink and get the "puckery" look (which I love but not on t-shirt quilts).

I always ask my customers if poly is OK and not one has not liked it.

I did have one exception though - I made a quilt for a gal who lives in Arizona and we agreed on a bamboo/ cotton blend (again Legacy brand) becuse it's so stinking hot there! It was light, soft and quilted beautifully. I gave her instructions on how to wash it and as long as it wasn't put in the drier - shrinkage should be minimal.

Love t-shirt quilts!:cool::cool::cool:

I most always use Quilter's Dream Green poly--for the same reson as Roseann--the tshirts have poly in them and I don't want the puckery look that cotton batting does when washed. Plus I like the fact the tshirts are being recycled and the dream green is made from recycled soda bottles. Customers really think that fact is cool!

Archived