lessons learned about freehand

Let me start this by saying I BARELY got c's in art class. And although I have had a machine for nine years, I just got one with a SR in August. My good friend (not so sure anymore) told me with the SR I could move to the frontside of my Lenni and do some freehand work. Sew (pun intended) when I had a customer come in and ask that I stay out of the center of the blocks with my stitching I told her I would. She decided that she just wanted little 5 point stars around the focus fabric and SID in all the seams of the quilt. With wandering loops in the borders.

1 Watch video's on turning quilt to do the border

2 take 4 hours to SID the first row......then find more direct thread path

3 Look for another video searching for easier way to pull up bobbin thread and move to next stitching path DID NOT HAPPEN

4 Must get a slightly bigger ruler if I ever do this again.

5 decided which marking pencils I did not like - got out the pounce box finally to stencil my stars ( had them for over 9 years first time to use them)

6 Must remember to tell customers that my charge goes up ALOT if doing this kind of work Forgot to do it on this one.......

7 Allow a week on the schedule for any quilt like this.

I'm sure there will be lessons learned today also.....but I better get to the quilt.

Have a good day all!

:cool:

Deb: But it's more fun!

As to pulling up the bobbin thread goes, try moving the machine from one sewing sequence to another without cutting the threads. Secure the start and stops, then go back and cut the connecting threads. Be careful not to catch the machine on one of the connecting bobbin threads though. It speeds up the sewing a lot. Good luck. Jim

Originally posted by mcmullen

Jim,I would love to try this but I am afraid my stitches will come undone! What is the best way to secure them? Do you have to bury them? Thanks, Becky

Hi Becky! Great lessons learned! I won't touch a ruler without at least 4 cents an inch--sometimes more. SID is time/labor intensive and takes hours to really perfect.

As for securing the thread at starts and stops--Needle down and up to pull up the bobbin thread. Holding the two threads in your left hand, needle down and up, bring the two threads so they are at 6 o'clock (straight down) and needle down/up in or right next to the same hole, bring the threads to 12 o'clock and needle down/up. Pull on the thread to see if they are secure. If you can pull the thread out, bring the thread to 3 o'clock and needle down/up. Check again. If they are tight and secure, needle down and start your stitching. All these stitches ideally are in the same hole or only a thread away. After you are past the starting spot you can stop and clip the threads. If you pull the thread tight and snip close, the ends will bury into the batting. I usually need three stitches to secure.

At the end of stitching use the same technique--at the last stitch push the machine away about five inches, hold onto the top thread and needle down/up to bring up the bobbin thread. Hold the thread and do the needle down/up/shift the thread dance three times--check for secure--and snip close.

Yesterday I was able to cover more quilt than expected..... the lesson that I learned was my machine is probably to high for me to work any legnth of time on the front side of the machine. My back is really bothering me today.....of course increasing my speed and legnth on the treadmill this week may have a something to do with it also.

So I asked my Dear Husband to create a 2 inch tall walking path for the front of my machine. He is less than thrilled, but I'm sure I will get it.

I agree with Jim, I am having some fun on the front of the quilt.........but I am going to start saving for an IQ.

Thanks Linda for the explanation, I was trying to accomplish this with only a third of the process no wonder it wasn't working.

Jim I did try your system yesterday, making sure to take a couple of tacking stitches at the start and end of each stitching path, it did really speed up my quilting. I only got tangled once.

This customer is getting a bargain on this quilt.....thats for sure. At least she is a good customer, this is the 5 th quilt since the last week of July. Off to the quilt. Have a good day everyone!

Deb, is your frame set as low as possible? Maybe instead of building a step, the machine can be lowered...or some quilters wear different shoes to raise them up a bit. Some sneakers have raised soles that may give you the extra height you need. May be safer than a step.

Yes, SID takes forever. It is a slow process. You will get faster with practice, but it will never be fast. So it will never be cheap for the customer. That is why all the continuous curve techniques are so popular.

That was the video I was searching for Angela! I knew I had watched once..... but then couldn't find it again. Still having problem with bringing the bobbin up at the end of stitching.... but I am getting better.

Thanks

Lisa I pulled out an old pair of Dansko clogs, and they worked great. Back doesn't hurt, and it was just enough height. Dear Hubby would give you a kiss if he could. Now he doesn't have to go out to the garage and build me that step.

Thank you.:D

Linda R. I echo Linda G. I had no problem after reading your instructions.....at least when starting.

I'm still having problems pulling up the bobbin thread to the top after I have finished stitching a section. I move the head away from where I am stitching to pull out top thread, then bring it back to where I stopped stitching and needle down & up to try to bring the bobbin up......seems like when I do catch it I have to pull really hard to get a loop of bobbin thread...... Then I secure all the threads the same way I did win I started the stitching line. Backside has quite a thread build up......

Maybe it is just because I am use to burying the knots, when I do my panto's. I like the look of not being able to see my starts and finishes.

Hi Deb.

So glad I could help! Tell hubby to give You the kiss...mine might get a bit jealous!!

I find the shoes I wear when quilting for hours to make a big difference. I love going barefoot but learned quickly that my body does not! Sneakers are best for me. Though I do want to try the others I've read about here. I just thought if it were me walking along a step, it would end in disaster! Glad to save him some work too.

Archived