what would you do?

Well, I had my first really unhappy customer. A new customer, from the other side of the Island, but I do quilt for a number of people she knows, & I would like to have more business from that area. She had a quilt she called "Amish Hearts"; so you have a pretty good idea what it looks like although I should have photographed it. Pieced hearts, fairly large, solid colors on black. I did not meet her in person, she had the quilt dropped off by her son. I asked her how who wanted it quilted, & she said something like "it's for my daughter, something floral." I quilted a beautiful floral, kind of like peonies, in black thread. to my mind, the minute you say "floral" you are taking it out of the Amish realm, but I thought the juxtaposition of angular & floral looked kind of cool & out-of-the-box; I liked it. She was very unhappy when she got the quilt back, because it was "not Amish enough," and "too tropical." (They were NOT tropical flowers.)

I offered to do it over if she would remove the stitching, which she readily agreed to do. However, I'm afraid we are just not on the same wavelength. I don't know what would be "Amish enough" and not be extremely labor-intensive. I charged her a low-end price because it was a panto. I should say she is a very meticulous quilter, but does not really seem like a PITA. She did complement my workmanship, which I guess is why she wants me to do it the second time.

Any quilting ideas?

Yes. Refund her money and walk away slowly..............

Well, actually, if you can get "on her wavelength" this relationship might be saved. It's good that she expressed her dislike to you about the quilt and not to all her friends. Just be sure you have everything documented as to price and design. Have her sign off on it.

As for quilting, "Amish enough" means hand-quilting to me. See Libby's recent thread about old-time quilting and the limitations of trying do replicate that with a longarm.

I will wish you good luck.

(It was so nice to meet you in Portland!)

The fact she complimented you on your workmanship and the fact she is willing for you to requilt this, sounds like you might be able to forge a relationship. She needs to give you an idea, either by picture or drawing, of what it is she wanting. Good luck and keep us posted.

Archived