Janette - THank you for fleece throw idea!

Janette I wanted to thank you for the fleece throw idea. I've made two and they go pretty quickly. I can get one done in an evening and even did a feather meander on one. I bought 4 yds of fleece cut in half and stitched away. They come out beautiful! I haven't had time to get pics but will try to. It is an awesome idea and goes so quickly!

Sylvia I'll try tonight but I quilted until 12:00 last night and up at 6 to do my day job. Just need more time in a day! I did one white and one a dark aqua. They came out about 50 x 65 or so I think. I'll have to measure to get an exact measurement. I think the next one I do I'll get 5 yards so they are a little longer. We're tall!

Susan - I left a 2" border and fringed it. Cut a 2" square out of the corners.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Janette I wanted to thank you for the fleece throw idea. I've made two and they go pretty quickly. I can get one done in an evening and even did a feather meander on one. I bought 4 yds of fleece cut in half and stitched away. They come out beautiful! I haven't had time to get pics but will try to. It is an awesome idea and goes so quickly!

Heidi, where is Janette's fleece throw idea post at? (for those of us who are Facebook more than other sites. ) LOL

Originally posted by SheriB

Originally posted by hmerrill

Heidi, where is Janette's fleece throw idea post at? (for those of us who are Facebook more than other sites. ) LOL

Well it is not my original idea, but if you want to see the fleece throw that I made, check out my blog.

http://www.j-quilts.co.uk/blog/2011/11/29/Alfresco-fleece-.aspx

(Hope this link works)

And no problem Heidi, I certainly don't take credit for the idea, I picked up the idea on this forum in the first place about a year ago maybe more.... I didn't fringe mine, but wish I had now. I just stitched mine around the edge and it looks fine, (I plan to bind at some stage or other)

Originally posted by Marsha Nichols

Heidi, What quality of fleece works best for the quilts? Hobby Lobby? Walmart? quilt stores?

I just got no pill fleece at Joanns. It was 50% off so it cost me about $20 per throw. Not at all bad! Too late tonight to get pictures. I'll try in the morning. I wish I could snap my fingers and give me 10 more hours in a day!

Originally posted by SheriB

BEAUTIFUL Janette!!!

I've often wondered what 2 layers of fleece did...ty for guinne pigg'n it up for all of us. LOL

Thanks Sheri, the fleece I used was pretty thick and nice quality, but not too expensive, I wish I had bought more of it now.....

The local fabric store has three fleece blankets on display. One has a different edge than the fringes.

The single layer of fleece is turned back on itself about 2" or so, and then the edge is stitched down. (think: hem) Then, that folded edge forms loops when the "fringe" is cut. The loops are then braided up the sides and around the corners of the blanket, like looping rubber bands together.

It's a cute treatment, and different.

If anyone has done the mile-a-minute looping technique on afghans, this is very similar.

Originally posted by sammi357

The local fabric store has three fleece blankets on display. One has a different edge than the fringes.

The single layer of fleece is turned back on itself about 2" or so, and then the edge is stitched down. (think: hem) Then, that folded edge forms loops when the "fringe" is cut. The loops are then braided up the sides and around the corners of the blanket, like looping rubber bands together.

It's a cute treatment, and different.

If anyone has done the mile-a-minute looping technique on afghans, this is very similar.

Do you have pictures or a website where I can see this - am not understanding or visualizing what you are describing. thanks

I don't know if you have a serger but I like to use wooly nylon and finish the edges that way. I do a 3 thread overlock and it looks good. The extra wooly nylon looks the nicest...the other is a little thin. Serging goes super quick and looks clean.

Thanks for the idea too...sounds like great last minute xmas present ideas:)

I just made 4 fleece throws, but did mine a little different. I used 2.25 yards top and bottom and a layer of QD poly between the fleece. I quilted them with different CL boards. Then I cut regular 100% cotton cabric and did a machine attached binding to them, where I first stitched it to the back, then folded the binding over to the front and stitched from the front with a feather stitch on my Bernina. They are a bit heavy, but that's the way they wanted them (family).

Mine are all Eagles fleece on the front and the backs are all a solid black fleece. Before I loaded the black/back on the frame, I embroidered each with the person's name. This way they are all the same, but all different - names and quilting designs are different.

Well, actually, I still have the binding to make and put on the last three! I better get back to sewing!

Meg, I found the pdf on Hancock's site, but then realized that their instructions aren't much clearer than mine were! lol! that's here:

http://content.hancockms.com/ecom_images/FreeProjects/Fleece/FleeceBook.pdf

It might help visualize the loops if you also look at the scarf they show.

project linus has a page here:

http://www.linusidaho.org/finishafleeceblanket.htm

When the edge is folded back and stitched, then strips are cut into the fold and up to but not through the stitching, it makes a loop.

Sometimes it's easier to just try it... grab a small scrap of anything and fold one edge in a bit, stitch it down, then cut perpendicular into the folded edge and you'll see the loops.

The loops are 'finger crocheted' together, the second is pulled through the first, then the third through the second, and so on, to make the 'braid'...it's not technically a 'braid', but more of a 'chain'. Of course, the last loop will have to be anchored with a stitches.

Hope this helps!

Sammi

Archived