Monster quit from HE**

Okay, this is what I've been doing for the past 4 days. This thing is a monster 118 x118. The lady brought the top, some cheapo batting, and a piece of 120 inch wide (yes that's right) backing fabric. So, I got the sucker loaded, got a bunch of it done, even got some of the ripples to flatten out with the all over quilting. Then, I get close to the end and the backing comes up 6 " short. I called her and asked her what she wanted me to do and we decided to just piece a 10" strip of the same muslin to the end. I did that, finished it and here it is. I know it's not perfect, but keep in mind that this thing didn't have squares and borders, it had ruffles.

All I can say is the lady is getting a real bargain, but she promised to bring more if she was happy; so I hope she's very happy:P

Teresa,

I really like the job you did (I also like the pattern you chose)and I like the quilt colors. Do you know what pattern the quilt itself is? I've seen it before but have never known the name.

I'm just curious: What size did the quilt end up being? I'm getting ready to quilt one close to that size and am curious how much smaller it ended up.

Monster quilts, Ha! I like my quilts to hang voer the sides of the bed, long enough to hang about 2-3" below the edge of the mattress. Every King size I've made is just huge and I've always called them Monster Quilts! Remember, I'm still handquilting and do them all in a hoop in my lap!

Seriously, with the deeper mattresses and box springs now I think we'll see more and more of these. I have room right now for a 12" frame in my apartment but am going to wait until I have a bigger place next year before I get it so I can do the 14' frame for exactly this reason. Great job Teresa, you are really getting better and better!

That happened to me once also, what a headache! I too had to remove the quilt and add backing, I hope I NEVER have to do that again. I make it clear to everyone that if I don't have 3 inches (especially on a large quilt, it's a no-go. I fold the top and the backing in 1/4 ths and check while the client is there. I'm not goona go through that again!

Teresa....it turned out beautamus.....wasn't far off huh, I guessed 10 bobbins. I think the back looks great and I love the flowers, something I need to master. Sorry to hear about the short back, but it all worked out, just a hassle that you didn't need right now.

Have a great weekend.....

Thanks all for the kind words.

I delivered the quilt today and she absolutely loved it. I explained to her about the borders and how I had to quilt out the fullness. She kept insisting that she didn't know what happened to her backing. She was so sure it was right. (Next time I know to check before the customer leaves).

I didn't charge her extra for fixing the backing, because she is a first time customer and she has about 4 other quilts in her bedroom waiting to be done. I figured it was worth my hassle if she will become a repeat customer. Now that I've run into that problem with one there probably won't be a problem with another one.

Jeanne, I didn't measure it again when I finished, but I don't think it shrank up very much because it wasn't dense quilting.

Bonnie, Thanks for the pep talk. I think I needed it.

I ran out of backing only once also. My fault but it was a lesson well learned. The client brought a lovely quilt with the most beautiful backing. It had beautiful cascading gladioluses. I was very careful to load it with them facing upwardes to fully appreciate the flowers only to find a the end that she had pieced the backing horizontally. I was 10 inches short with no way around it. As I was working for a shop at the time, the decision was not mine to make as to what would be done............You guessed it, 13 1/2 hours it took me to unsew all the quilting, reload it, requilt it. NEVER AGAIN. I assumed, and we all know what kind of trouble that can get you into. I never measure the backing once, nine times, maybe but not once.

Very nice Teresa - what kind of thread did you use? I am guessing that

these were bobbins you wound, not pre-wounds. I have very seldom used

the same thread, top and bobbin. Should try it sometime....

That lsat monster I did was 120 x 120 and the bolt of backing muslin she

brought in said 118" - so I gave it a try. Yes, I was a few inches short....

Love my zippers! Took it off, trimmed one of the sides edges and put that

on - thankfully it was "JUST" enough! Zip it back on - and finish. Takes a bit

to roll up those big buggers though!:P

I too would LOVE to get another machine and it will have the 14' table and

someday the CQ! Not this year........ maybe next if I stay this busy! Maybe I

could talk my DH into letting me take out a loan and build my studio and get

another machine. Maybe......

Teresa:

You did a great job and this your first customer quilt!

I ran out of backing once -- only once -- and it was my own quilt. I actually unpinned (didn't have zippers at that time) the top and bottom from the one side, put my DSM on a small table and moved me and the machine down the line to sew on the 3" of backing fabric I needed to add. What a goofball I am! I knew before I started that I was short, was going to add a small piece and then FORGOT! N e v e r, e v e r, e v e r again.

But you did good and you made someone happy. Here's to many more tops from your new customer with more than adequate backings!

Archived