Quilt show quality?

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a happy sunday :)

I have another question..... where do it find out what Quilt Show Quality is... i.e what are the judges looking for etc? I am not looking to show my own quilts (or maybe I will once I know what they are looking for lol!) but am about to start taking customer quilts with my millie (named her Big Bertha!) and want to make sure I know what I "should" be doing if they want to show them at any time :)

Hi Lucy,

If you are wondering about what judges look for as to the quilting (not the piecing, fabrics, etc.) here is a general over-view--

They want to see---

Good and logical choices for thread weight, composition, and color.

That the chosen quilting design is appropriate for the quilt and also for the category the quilt is entered in. No elaborate micro-stitching or fabulous feathers on a Bread-and-Butter quilt, etc.

That the thread starts and stops are invisible.

That the thread tension is perfect throughout.

That the stitches are a consistent length--whether or not you have a stitch regulator.

That the chosen quilting design has consistent density, is executed well with smooth curves and excellent SID (which for some reason they insist on actually being IN the ditch!:P)

If an entered quilt makes the cut for further examination for awarding the prizes, the judge will give it more attention than the initial 4 minutes or so for the first view. Then perhaps the magnifying glass will come out and the quilting will be really scrutinized. Quilting designs will be analyzed for symmetry and appropriateness to the piecing. The final decision for the blue ribbon comes down to two quilts and then the judge goes by the overall "feel" of the quilt, but some small quilting mis-step may tip the scales. No pressure, huh?

Every show has "new quilter" categories so don't be afraid to enter something you are proud of. The judges notes are great feedback and not meant to be criticism.

I re-read your post and want to mention this--have a spot on your intake about showing the quilt.

This will open a dialogue about what judges look for and if your customer wants to show the quilt, there are separate and special rules for this at various shows.

If she may want to show it at the local guild show, county fair, or regional show, she should sign off on the fact that your name as the quilter must be on the entry. It's your decision as to division of any prizes.

Another reason to ask about this is because show quilts take the quilting fee up a couple of notches to compensate for the extra time it takes to knot and bury threads, change thread colors, etc.

And the big shows like Houston and Paducah will not accept quilts where the quilting has been purchased. No money should change hands between the piecer and quilter, all prizes are split, and both are considered owner/entrants. Regional shows like PWQS have the professionally-quilted quilts in a separate category.

Food for thought--but don't be scared away. Know the rules so you can guide your customers.

Linda gives very good advice, also know that every show and judge is different, I've had some quilts win blue ribbons at some shows and then nothing at another show...the best part though is that the judges usually give comments on the judging cards which are very helpful in learning what needs to improve. Entering quilt shows are an ongoing learning experience for me.

All that to say, just do your best, pay attention to details and don't be afraid to go for it!

There has been a lot of good info given here. I'd add that originality of quilting design is also a plus. Also, the more difficult the quilting, the more points may be awarded, however, there may also be more forgiveness with technique with the more challenging the quilting. Another point -- show quality quilting tends to be more dense.

Linda gives really good advice and Joan you are right the quilting density is usually more dense. I have found that you really never know exactly what one judge will like over another. On one of my show quilts the judge said there wasn't enough contrast and another judge said there was too much contrast. I try to concentrate on the bones of the quilt. I make sure my starts and stops are hidden, stitch length is consistent, and the overall design is pleasing. First and foremost I make sure I like the quilt and use the judges comments to grow.

Archived