Red Rose & Gold Applique' Ideas?

This is a beautiful needle turn applique' quilt top that my customer made 15 years ago and intended to hand quilt, but knows it won't happen now. She favors traditional quilting design. I am in love with the background fabric which has a gold crackle effect between the small groupings of flowers, and would like to figure out how to bring out the crackle effect. Your thoughts for any and all quilting designs would be appreciated (types of thread and batt too). TIA!

post--13461907989479_thumb.jpg

Joan that is a pretty quilt. I would use wool batt so that the applique pops. You might even want to add another thin batt under the wool to give it even more structure. I would SID all the applique and cross hatching behind the applique, maybe 1" - 2" grid. Feather the outside border and any kind of small feathery or swirly design for the sashing. The only problem with that background is that it might hide the quilting so that is why I'd use a batting with more loft.

When I have a very busy applique quilt, I like to use a background fill that I can work around all those small pieces with minimal starts and stops. McTavishing with small scale McFeathering, or a small swirl ( my go to background fill) or similar fill. Sashing are always a stumbling block for me. Especially ones like this with no corner stones. I usually end up quilting in corner stones to help me make sense with the quilting design.

On the other hand, Heidi's suggestion on cross-hatching would probably showcase the crackle in the background better than a fill. I can't wait to see whatever you do. It will be beautiful.

Originally posted by chrisquilter

When I have a very busy applique quilt, I like to use a background fill that I can work around all those small pieces with minimal starts and stops. McTavishing with small scale McFeathering, or a small swirl ( my go to background fill) or similar fill. Sashing are always a stumbling block for me. Especially ones like this with no corner stones. I usually end up quilting in corner stones to help me make sense with the quilting design.

On the other hand, Heidi's suggestion on cross-hatching would probably showcase the crackle in the background better than a fill. I can't wait to see whatever you do. It will be beautiful.

Christ I agree with you on the background fill but unfortunately those designs don't fit what most people see as "traditional" style quilting. When I have customers that tell me they want traditional I always go cross hatching, the v-shape (concentric triangles on each side) or straight lines. I think of those as traditional.

Ditto all the advice above.

And, if it's a "gold" toned crackle design in the background fabric, and you want to help enhance the gold crackle design, I think you should pick a gold toned poly thread that has a sheen to it. I have some Madeira Polyneon that works fabulous but you can use any poly gold tone thread.

And yeah, crosshatch the background with it. Simple, elegant.

The big central design. You could "create some space" in the corners with a special motif that fits nicely in the corners and then crosshatch the background around that and the applique. That would be killer pretty. Just sayin'

The sashing: I would do a really simple pretty curlyQ type feather (not too heavy... light, simple, elegant) And use the same gold poly thread.

The borders. Crosshatch. I'm a KISS kind of girl. Some things you just want the fabric to be the star and the quilting to be the supporting actress. :)

Archived