Suggestions for Embroidered Quilt, 2nd try for pics

Well, phooey! I figured the pictures wouldn't post. Second try .....

Here's my original message from the first post (which I will attempt to delete):

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum over 1 1/2 years and I cannot tell you how much I have learned from all of you! I bought my Millie in April of 2010 and it was the best decision ever. I feel like I have dozens of not only teachers out here, but friends I have never met.

Having said that I'd like to ask for suggestions on an embroidered customer quilt. I've read where some have quilted right over the embroidery, but I'm hesitant to do that (not sure why). I was thinking cross-hatching around the embroidery work, not thru it (if that makes any sense). But other suggestions are welcome! The green border is about 5 1/2" so I was thinking feathers there. The sashing is less than 1" so I can't get too carried away in that small space.

Thanks again,

Pat C in Nebraska

post--13461908029932_thumb.jpg

I just did an embroidered quilt and I quilted around the embroidery about a 1/4" away and then echoed out from there. Sorry, no pics as it is a quilt shops project not released yet!! Anyway there was some other embroidery and I outlined that close to give demension to it. If you don't want to echo, any background fill would look good, just outline the embroidery first to create your space.

I don't tend to go through the embroidery. I like to make the embroidery the star of the show so I would probably quilt a shape that was pleasing around the embroidery. Maybe a circle, oval, pinched square whatever shape works with the designs. Then CH to the shape. I would use that shape to build a border design. For instance if I did a circle I would do something with circles in the border or sashing. Just to pull it all together. That outside border would be beautiful with feathers.

All good advice I have done both...crosshatched through and on others outlined and then crosshatched or McT, or any other background you like, right up to the embroidery. It depends on the look you are going for. If you want the embroidery to shine, I'd outline it and not go over it.

Guest Linda S

I would crosshatch through the embroidery. If you don't do that, you're going to end up with baggy poofs behind and around the embroidery. If you use a fairly thin thread and a color that goes well with the background (shade of white), you won't even notice that it has gone through the embroidery. If you don't go through the embroidery, you will really notice it.

Thank you all for such great ideas! Since this is for a customer I'll let her decide whether she wants the embroidery stitched through or not. I can see how it would not really be noticed if very thin thread is used, but I'd hate for her to be disappointed. After all, she started this when there were only 48 states in the country. I think the Hawaii and Alaska blocks will be pillows. :P

Thanks again!

Pat C

Originally posted by Pat C

...started this when there were only 48 states in the country. I think the Hawaii and Alaska blocks will be pillows. :P Pat C

:P I think that some people believe that Alaska is an odd shaped small island in the ocean located just off the Pacific coast line. :cool: That's what it looks like on the weather map so it must be true! :D

Archived