I need some ideas for kids quilts

My quilting group and I are in the process of making quilts for a group called "Quilts for Kids." It's a national organization that gives quilts to kids in hospitals and homeless shelters. They measure about the size of a crib sized quilt, sometimes slightly smaller. The organization will send you a kit to finish and return which are simple 4 patches. Kinda boring. My group and I have made Log Cabins, Split Rails, Disappearing Nine Patches, Friendship Stars, some Amish style quilt and a Snowball quilt. I plan on starting a "Woven Ribbon" a pattern that I found on Quilter's Cache. I would really like to give them a nice assortment, does anyone have ideas for other quilts that would work up quickly? Our quilts are for the older kids; that seems to be who they have the greatest need for.

Dianne

This has been around for years.

Take three fabrics that go well together--one yard cuts.

Layer all three right side up and trim the edges slightly so they are exactly the same size.

With these 36" x 44"-ish pieces--cut 8 inches in from each of the 4 sides. You now have a big nine patch. Shuffle the four corners, four sides, and the center piece into three different quilts. The four corners match each other, the four sides match each other, and all three fabrics are in each separate quilt. Sew them together and you are done.

It's a great pattern to use novelties and pastels for babies and kids. If it isn't big enough for the purpose, a 6" border can be added. All three quilts can be cut and sewn in less than an hour. It took me longer to pick the fabrics!!

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Dianne, I believe it makes a large 9 patch block...that is a small quilt.

After sewing the top finishes at 35" X 43"--not much waste since there are only two seams across the widths. It's a small quilt, but you can add simple 6" borders to make it 46" X 54". We had a sew-in at guild and made 30 of these in an afternoon.

After sewing the top finishes at 35" X 43"--not much waste since there are only two seams across the widths. It's a small quilt, but you can add simple 6" borders to make it 46" X 54". We had a sew-in at guild and made 30 of these in an afternoon.

Linda I love this idea and will take it to my quilt group when we meet next time. We do all charity quilts and by adding borders, these would make quick lap robes as well as kid quilts. Thanks! I'll give it a try at home first to show the gals.

Thank you every one. I googled the patterns that I hadn't heard of and printed instructions of them. I just get bored making the same patterns over and over and was hitting a designing block, as in nothing was coming to me. These will work well.

Dianne

Archived