What Markers To Use?

Hi, I am pretty new to LA, I have had my Millie a few years and have done a lot of PPP. So far I have done very little free hand, mostly all over quilting and echoing. I have a Thimbleberries "Village" quilt where I want to take the leap and use more free hand detail and ruler work. I was wondering what markers or pounce powders are best to use when marking a quilt top?

Also, where do I find the glow in the dark pounce powder? Are there any marking pens/pencils that glow in the dark?

Dustee

I mostly use 2 things, the purple self erase pen and the white chaco liner with white chalk only. If I want to mark my quilt before I load it, I will occasionally use the blue water erase pen. But that is all I use, especially when it comes to customer quilts that I don't want to have permanently marked...also be careful when using any pen that you don't apply heat (iron or bright lights) to it as some it will set in permanently.

I have tried the glow in the dark pounce powder, and while it does glow, it reminds me of a squashed lightning bug...kinda messy and smeary.

I like the Marvy fabric marking pens, air erasable. The purple pen's markings last a couple days then disappear. The water erasable pens are also good. I like the Zig laundry clear markers. I also like the Zig white markers that disappear with heat/steam. Those are my favorite for marking on dark fabric..very easy to remove.

All those are available at Marker Supply a great deal cheaper than purchasing Clover products at LQS or JoAnn. Be sure you are ordering Marvy erasable pens, because they have permanent ones, too.

I've tried everything..pouncing is OK if you plan to mark as you go, and is good for some things. The chalk can tend to sort of bounce off the fabric and the marks can disappear rather quickly.

I've also tried the ceramic pens, like Sew Line. They mark well but can be harder to remove. Don't use the blue chalk if you choose pouncing. It also is hard to remove.

You may have to try all of them before you decide on what method works best for you.

Hi Dustee,

Last year I ordered the black light power from kmquiltingsupply.com. Their website is still up but I've heard they may be closing out, not sure. Looks like they also have the pencils. I purchased a black light pencil from our local quilt shop in Fremont, NE, you're not too far from there.

I've started using the cheap white kids chalk found in the school supply section of most discount stores. I believe it was Heidi that mentioned it and it works great - brushes right off. I haven't been able to make a thin line with it, but for general marking it works fine. Marking quilts has always been a challenge for me also and I've very, very sparingly used any kind of marking on customer quilts.

Purple air-erase and cheap white school chalk are my markers of choice. I have occasion to use blue water-erase and the Bohin white markers as well under certain circumstances. If you use stencils, put your stencil chalk in a small container and use a small foam brush to dip sparingly into the chalk and PUSH through the stencil. That is very effective and uses very little chalk.

Ditto the purple air-eraseables! Those are my FAVE!

I use pounce powder with my stencils, and like it alot. Regular school chalk is also too!

NOTE** You can slightly sharpen that school chalk. If done very carefully (i use Cover Girl's make-up sharpener) and turn v e r y s l o w e l y...to get that almost *point*(mines kinda round) on the end of your chalk!

Originally posted by Pat C

Hi Dustee,

Last year I ordered the black light power from kmquiltingsupply.com. Their website is still up but I've heard they may be closing out, not sure. Looks like they also have the pencils. I purchased a black light pencil from our local quilt shop in Fremont, NE, you're not too far from there.

I've started using the cheap white kids chalk found in the school supply section of most discount stores. I believe it was Heidi that mentioned it and it works great - brushes right off. I haven't been able to make a thin line with it, but for general marking it works fine. Marking quilts has always been a challenge for me also and I've very, very sparingly used any kind of marking on customer quilts.

I use a pencil sharpener to sharpen the chalk. Works great!

My marking tools depend on the top and what my customers want. I use white school chalk or the miracle powder for stencils whenever possible. If I need to pre-mark it I use blue washout marker or SewLine pink or white (don't use green it won't come out and make sure you don't press too hard). White can rub off so that one can be marked a little harder. The line is fantastic. I also use the Marvy Marker if I can.

If you get the black light powder mix a very little bit into white pounce powder. It will give you plenty to see the line perfectly and it won't looks like a smooshed bug (love that description).

Archived