Finding your 1/4" seam when piecing

I had a few people in a class I was teaching yesterday ask me how they could check for an accurate 1/4" seam.

Here is how I go about it. Each individual needs to check for them selves as the thread ( top and bottom), how you press, how much you push against the foot; can make a difference to your 1/4" seam.

I start with a left over piece of binding. (I cut mine at 2 1/2".)

Sew 2 pieces together with your 1/4" seam. Press as you normally would then check the size, by laying a small square ruler on top. It should now measure 4 1/2". If it doesn't then you need to move your needle.

If you can't move your needle then you may need to move your presser foot by putting a small piece of card between it and the needle bar.

Guest Linda S

Lyn - I didn't used to move my needle, but I'd adjust where I placed the fabric. Some of my machines had a 1/4" line that wasn't quite accurate, so I'd put a couple layers of masking or painters tape at a position that would give me that accurate line (like on my Featherweight). My Bernina had a very accurate line, but I had a tendency to slip when I was really sewing fast, so I bought the #57 foot - 1/4" foot with a bar guide on the right side. Man, did that improve my piecing!

I did the same thing as Linda....got the #57 guide foot for my Bernina! And for my Featherweight, I got an acrylic guide from Nova Montgomery. This little thing is so slick, I even ordered them for my friends with Featherweights!

http://www.novamontgomery.com/shop/Tools-and-Accessories/p/Novas-Sew-Straight-Guide.htm

The other thing that some people don't realize is that you should start and finish your project on the same machine. The 1/4" usually is different between two machines, no matter how accurate you are. ;)

One year at our quilt retreat we did a project. I required perfect 1/4 inch seams. We broke into group to come up with ideas to help each other. I also gave them handouts. It was so helpful to all. One tip is to use a lined index card. The lines are 1/4 inch apart!

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

I had a few people in a class I was teaching yesterday ask me how they could check for an accurate 1/4" seam.

Here is how I go about it. Each individual needs to check for them selves as the thread ( top and bottom), how you press, how much you push against the foot; can make a difference to your 1/4" seam.

I start with a left over piece of binding. (I cut mine at 2 1/2".)

Sew 2 pieces together with your 1/4" seam. Press as you normally would then check the size, by laying a small square ruler on top. It should now measure 4 1/2". If it doesn't then you need to move your needle.

If you can't move your needle then you may need to move your presser foot by putting a small piece of card between it and the needle bar.

yep, this is how I teach it as well.

When I took a class from Jan Krentz, she stated that with the new electronic machines sometimes when you turn them on the needle does not always go to the exact same spot. She had a plastic template to judge each time and then used blue painters tape if needed to adjust or move your needle. She also did the fabric test and had you put that piece with your project so you could check it with that piece each time. That way it is set for that project. It helped me as I have a traveling machine and a home machine and I could just use the template then checked with the fabric piece. Also the thread makes a difference, some threads are thicker so they will make it a little different. Always use the same thread for the whole project also.

Shirley

I taught myself how to sew and how to quilt so my first quilts were quilted with a 5/8 inch seam just like clothing. LOL. I even did some with the serger where I serged all the seams (yikes!). I kept one quilt top that is unquilted because I was always going to "fix" it, but I decided to leave it like that as a testament to how far I have come and it always makes me laugh. After a few years I understood the difference in sewing clothing and sewing quilts and that little 1/4 inch seam, but was it really always exactly 1/4 inch? Eventually...yes it was...but was it a "scant" little 1/4 inch seam? I don't know...I just wanted to make pretty quilts not ressurect my algebra teachings. Years ago I watched a program Mary Ellen Hopkins was on (this lady absolutely cracks me up) and she said to stop fretting about that little 1/4 inch and get to sewing. That everyone has their "own personal 1/4 inch" and as long as you do EVERYTHING with the same personal little 1/4 inch seam that your quilt will turn out beautifully. And she was right...they did. Even the 5/8 inch ones did...LOL.

The problem reared it's ugly head again when the topic of "swapping" came up. I participated in my FIRST ever swap last August on this group. I have a quarter inch foot...everything in fact to turn out PERFECT blocks. However...I could not make my squares do that EXACTLY. I checked the thickness of my thread (Aurafil) and I did all the little tricks of sewing strips together and measuring them and other things...for a month I worked on this. Then I got rushed because we were going to be gone for several weeks so I sewed my blocks and sent them off. To my embarassment...they were "short". Like less then 1/4 inch over all, but still not perfect. I noticed when I got the swapped blocks back about half of them were perfect and about half of them were just like my blocks...a little short. I didn't starch and steam them into submission. I merely sewed them with a 1/4 inch seam and pressed them and sent them. This is embrassing because I've been sewing for over 40 years and I turn out some pretty nice and intricate quilts and I haven't mastered that little seam allowance yet?

Now I want to participate in this swap, but I don't know if I will yet. I bought the correct fabric (I didn't have any 30's fabric or white Kona....not my usual taste I guess) and I'm researching and working on the perfect 1/4 inch seam techniques and there are a LOT of them out there. I want to get this. My goal is 30 perfectly square 13 inch blocks. You'll know I accomplished this if Doodlebug gets squares from me. :)

PS...thank you Hitomi for the "mistake" you made because I would have made my blocks 12 ½" too.

PSS...thank you Doodlebug for the challenge you put out there that will improve my skills.

PSSS...thank you to all of you offering your techniques on how to do this

I have the Bernina 57 foot and really like it. I have still found though that even using a fine thread like Aurifil, on my machine I need to move the needle one place to the right. I find that the seam takes up more room when it is pressed to one side rather than open and have to make allowance for that.

This is a great subject as I have struggled with that 'perfect' quarter inch seam and may have to give that #57 Bernina foot a try. It's also surprising how much a finer thread helps.

Another issue I've had is the top fabric scooting along and ending up longer than the bottom piece, especially when strip piecing. I have a walking foot but it's really hard to maintain a 1/4" seam with that. I've adjusted the pressure on the presser foot, try to use the 'limper' fabric on the bottom, pinned (ugh!). Some fabrics are worse than others. Are there any secrets for keeping one side from looking a little rippled on those long strips??

When our quilting group works on a project, we try to choose a pattern that is "forgiving" because our 10 piecers will come up with 10 different size blocks even though we are all using our 1/4" feet ! haha I know my home machine and my travel machine also stitch different 1/4' seams. I had started a project with one machine and attempted to finish on the other machine and the blocks weren't fitting together at all. I, too, have the 1/4" foot with the flange on one side with my Janome 6600. It's great !

These are the instructions that I use when teaching students to find the correct 1/4". I find with only 2 pieces of pieced fabric you still have a little room for slight differences. This usually works. I also tells students to do this for each and every project because the weight of the fabric can make a difference in their 1/4". It doesn't take much time to do.

Cut 3 pieces of fabric 2” wide x 6” long and sew together. our sewn piece should measure 5” x 6”. If it does not your seam allowance is off. If the piece is too big then your seams are too small. If the piece is too small then your seams are too big.

Archived