To Wash or Not? PICS ADDED

I also guess I think they are pretty dirty when I get done with them. I don't prewash but actually add tons of spray starch.

Then on top of that my hands are all over it. Sometimes it hits the floor while piecing and ironing. The dust around house gets on them and maybe even the cat or pup tried it out before I got it finished or they help while I'm piecing. When done it doesn't look dirty, but it's very stiff and not snuggly.

And the clincher for me was years ago I washed one and the water was flithy. Fabric is already dirty when we buy it. Yes it's wrapped in plastics when shipped but it's dirty at the factory. It can't help but be all those machines and fabric lint galore

So added these reasons to why I wash before gifting or personal use.

You are so right Bonnie! I was recently surprised (and disgusted) with how dirty the wash water was for a quilt I gifted! I don't think we realize how much handling with our hands, and laying on surfaces (including the floor at times) the quilts go through before we finish the whole process. Thank goodness I washed the quilt, now I wash all the quilts I give away---

I agree with Bonnie in that show quilts need to be blocked for square-ness and to hang straight. If you want to retain the chrispness of the fabric and don't want the crinkled look of washed quilt with cotton batting, it can be blocked without laundering. Spread it on your blocking surface and spritz it heavily until it's wet through and then continue the blocking process.

Whenever I have given a quilt away, I've always wondered whether to wash it or not. And I have never. I truly loved reading all the great reasons why to wash a quilt before giving it away and I will be washing them in the future before giving as gifts.

And that is one fine quilt you made. Not surprising he was blown away!

Archived