To Wash or Not? PICS ADDED

I never used to wash quilts before i gave them away but I did tell the recipients that when they washed it, it would shrink and "crinkle" up a bit. I do wash all baby quilts before giving them and now I'm thinking of washing all quilts except for wall hanging ones. Several of the quilts I gave away have never been washed because the people I gave them to are afraid they will change too much. I think I'll give them washed quilts so they will know it is okay to wash them and what they will look like. I did put washing instructions on the quilt labels! I do wash all QOVs I give away.

Nancy Jo,

I don't know if I would call what I do "washing".

I set my washer to the gentlest cycle, and put in a half a capful of Woolite. Let the washer fill, (cold water) and submerge the quilt into the water. Let it agitate for the least amount of time. Spin out, and then I put the wet quilt in a pre-heated dryer at the lowest temp. setting for about 20 mins. and they lay it flat someplace to dry. PS. Edit: I forgot to mention "Color Catcher" sheets must be in the washer too! 3-or 4 of them!

Then I press it with the iron at the lowest setting, and shake, shake fluff the quilt. I think they look really nice when I finish this process.

I know whoever I give them to is probably not going to do it this way, but I do include a "wash cold, wash gentle, dry low temp" label in hopes they will follow those instructions. If they do anything to the quilt after that---it's their's, not mine.

I always like to freshen (wash) quilts I give away because I know the edges have dragged on the floor, over the cutting table, been held with my hands and fingers over a period of time of piecing, picture taking, quilting, on the surface of the frame, under the sewing machine for binding, handled multiple times everywhere in my house and sewing space....They must have collect dust, lint and and who knows what else in the process----

I've also gone back to washing most of my dark fabrics and batiks for sure before cutting---I had a bad experience with a Quilt of Valor recently that the topper had not pre washed the fabric. It made me rethink how important pre washing fabrics can be. I had sort of gotten away from washing just purchased fabrics.

Of course I'm not buying fabrics for my stash like I used to either, so pre washing does not take much effort nowadays.

This all makes sense. Hmmm...now what to do. I love the way the finished quilt looks all crisp and clean so you can really see the design. But this is for a male that does his own laundry so will he take the care to cold wash and low dry to set the colors?????? Maybe I will give the gift unwashed then take it home and wash it before giving it back. ;)

Guest Linda S

All of my fabrics are washed before they're added to the stash (with the exception of jellyrolls and other precuts). I also usually wash the quilt when finished. I too, like the crinkled look.

I do as Kristina....I wash in the hottest water it can stand and same for dryer. Yes I loose maybe a few inches, but after that there will never be any further shrinkage.

I do this for Two reasons: 1) I want it to be the softest possible and as antiqued and to smell good when they get it. 2) now with all the shrink out of it...should whomever gets it and doesn't wash as I said, cool wash cool dryer or air dry, they won't have to feel guilty about shrinkage and worry about telling me they did something bad.

Actually three...3) I wash also to make sure they dont fall apart in the wash and to get the ton of spray starch out of them.

It is in the washer and going in the dryer. He won't take the time to lay it out. Two cats, a grown daughter and a 4 yr old grandaughter. They are lucky the laundry even gets done. I try to be realistic when my quilts go to a new home. Here are the final pics of the finished product (before washing:):):))

post--13461908149548_thumb.jpg

Ardelle, until today I was right there with you. But, when I gave this gift, the receiver was blo"wn away. Completely speechless. And when I mentioned that I had already washed and dried it the comment was, ohhhhhh, I love it that way. It has so much texture." So, I guess now I have options. I do admit, I don't curl up on the couch with one of the crispy ones!!!

When I first started out I used to pre wash all my fabrics and it was a great relief not to feel I had to do this and so for years have not pre washed or washed quilts prior to them leaving me.

I think the unwashed quilt can look good all crisp and new however I have to agree that a washed quilt has a 'cuddlability' factor about it. For that reason I think I will consider washing some quilts before they leave me.

I don't think I would go back to pre washing though unless I was concerned about colour run.

Originally posted by Ardelle Kerr

Very nice! :D

I never pre-wash and I never wash when I finish a quilt either. I like the look of fabric best before washing. I personally think time enough to wash it when it's dirty....just my way....

I also guess I think they are pretty dirty when I get done with them. I don't prewash but actually add tons of spray starch.

Then on top of that my hands are all over it. Sometimes it hits the floor while piecing and ironing. The dust around house gets on them and maybe even the cat or pup tried it out before I got it finished or they help while I'm piecing. When done it doesn't look dirty, but it's very stiff and not snuggly.

And the clincher for me was years ago I washed one and the water was flithy. Fabric is already dirty when we buy it. Yes it's wrapped in plastics when shipped but it's dirty at the factory. It can't help but be all those machines and fabric lint galore

So added these reasons to why I wash before gifting or personal use.

Never pre or post wash anything. If the quilt gets dirty/spots I will wash but that hasn't happened yet. I like the crisp, ironed look of them because they look new. I did wash an underground railroad (Burns) and it definitely did crinkle. Wanted it to look old-worked for me. I can't imagine washing all the fabric I buy. Might be an incentive to quit buying though.

Archived