marking pens

Has anyone ever had the clover white pens or the bohin white pens not come out after sitting there for a week? I had a quilt marked and something happened where I couldn't get it quilted and now I am having a hard time getting them out.

my second question is has anyone found a fabric that the purple air erase pens don't disappear on?

thank you for your input!!

Guest Linda S

I've never had a problem with the Clover pens not coming out with steam from an iron. It does need to be quite hot.

I've had the purple pens hang around for a long time, but I've never had them stay forever. Actually, I'm usually lucky if I can get to to stay long enough to mark one motif and have it stay till I can finish quilting it!

Well I am never using the blue wash out ever again on a customer quilt, after having to completely soak 4 borders in the bath tub, without touching photographs on the quilt top !!! Lucky for me it was only 40 inch square.....

So here is the question then, what do people use instead? for something that you want to stay there at least til you have quilted.... I did try pouncing, but I could barely see the design, I have tried the purple air erasable on my own quilt, but it left yellow stains on cream fabric .

I tend to use the blue washout pen when I absolutely can't have any residue. Fo rthe Dragon I've just done I used sharpie, but I knew that was getting a good soak after quilting.

I always bull sideway from my stitches not up away from the fabric.

Removing the last little bits, a brush pen with a water container. They come from art shops.

I import a wide stabiliser from Superior and sell it. People have found it a lot easier than marking the quilt and it's easy to see through as well.

Ferret

I had the blue markings on a quilt (that I sent away to a show) come back. I have shared how to remove the blue marks with many, many quilters. So I'll share with all of you. Don't ever be afraid to use the blue washable markers again.If you have blue marks come back that you thought you removed, soak the quilt top in the washing machine with enough cold water to soak it in. Add two large bags of ice and let it sit in the cold water and ice for at least two hours. If you're scared to apply heat to this quilt top, air dry it. I guarantee that the blue marks are gone and gone for good. This quilt won first place in its category and it 's been on my bed, through the washer and dryer since it's appearance in two quilt shows. If you want to experiment, mark a piece of cloth with a blue washable marker. Heat it and try to remove it with ice and cold water. Let me know if it works for you.

I continue to use the blue markers and the Sewline pencils, Roxanne's pencils and don't have any issues.

There are some really great pens that came out recently and are great. They are FriXion erasable gel pens from Pilot. You can check them out on ewequilt.com. I bought them from my local quilt shop and they are great. The ink is thermo-sensitive and you just iron the markings off or throw in dryer. The ink disappears completely. They come in 8 colors and are a couple of dollars each. I bought a 3 pack for under $9.00.

The only negative is that if the ink will return if it gets below 14 degrees. So keep your quilts out of the cold. ;)

Archived