frustrated

Depending on what I am doing, I like to use a ruler so I have a better chance to backtrack neatly. But, of course, that's not always an option. Like Linda said, slowing down seems to help me, but even then, I'm not always perfect, especially on the diagonal. (I will be getting M&M wheels soon, so I hope that will help.)

I have better backtracking control with the micro-handles if quilting smaller feathers. On larger ones, its just hard to get it perfect sometimes. Going slowly does not work for me. Keeping a light grip on the handles is a BIG factor..relax, breathe, and quilt rhythmically. Remember, nobody's backtracking is perfect all the time. As Kimmy Brunner and Jamie Wallen remind us...we have good backtracking days and bad backtracking days. Sometimes, its better to go do something else awhiile. The harder we try, the less likely it is to work sometimes.

Bonnie~

I know that it can be frustrating to not have a design come out the way you want.

The key is to keep trying. Find what works for you and go for it.

Give yourself permission to not have it perfect.

Are you using a matching color? If not, match your thread to the fabric you are stitching,

Your detail will improve with just that.

Are you in SR mode? If so, try stitching in manual. It will actually free up your movement.

The more you do it, the easier it will be.

A wise woman once told me, "When you get Frustrated, Walk away"

Even if for only a few minutes, Walk Away.

In time, you will find what works best for you.

Keep practicing. You will get it .

Laura

Thanks for the boost to keep at it. I don't know how slow is slow but I feel like the snails are comming out ahead. LOL Will keep trying I have tried using SR and manual stitching. I feel the difference in the motion but find myself knotting up in places on manual becasue I am to slow trying to be smooth. But will keep trying. Thanks All!

Bonnie, you could try placing some wadding under the balance rail, on top of your work, so it compresses the quilt gently against the bed of the machine, this makes it a little "firmer" to move but allows you to be more precise about where you want to go.

If you don't already have M&Ms, they are a very good investment, you will be surprised at the difference.

Here is a hint that Dave Jones gave me many years ago and it really worked. Practice by doing a circle, round and round and round as fast as you can. don't worry about hitting the mark just keep going round and round. You will find that eventually you will be hitting the circle dead on. It is all about muscle memory. Once you have the circle going in the clockwise position go counter clockwise. I was really surprised how much that helped me. Also sometimes too slow makes it harder to hit the mark. I go pretty slow but when I go too slow I wobble.

When I post pictures, I deliberately look for a section that has good backtracking. So don't be fooled by the pictures.

The M and M wheels made a huge difference in my being able to control the machine.

Going slow is worse for me. Holding the handles loosely and allowing the machine to move actually does help. Jamie Wallen says that you have to practice drawing the feathers so you build up that muscle memory. Then you have to do it three more times in the other directions. But you will get better. You just need to find out what works for you.

this is a technique i share in my classes-

practice on paper first-

you put your pencil down and then look where you want to end. without moving your eyes, bring your pencil to the point you are staring at. do that over an over varying the angles of the lines- towards your body, away from your body. then do a squiggle line, focus on the beginning and draw back to the beginning.

then apply it to your quilting. instead of watching the needle/quilt line, just look where you want to be and bring the machine to that point.

it uses your muscle memory and trains your peripheral vision...it'll feel weird at first, but just trust the method...you'll find that trackbacks are happening and you don't have to 'think' about it

hope this helps...

Thanks for all the extra advice and I will work on it. I try to pratice with paper and pencil or a dry erase board but then when I get to the quilt it doesn't go as smooth as it did on paper. HUMMMM oh well will just keep at it and try everyones recommendations surely something will work. Pat I live in southwest Ok near Altus.

Archived