chainstitching to zippered leaders

I was going through earlier posts about attaching to zippers, and I have finally figured out how to set up my serger (that was a project!!) to make a chainstitch (that was a project!!), and I am just curious if anyone has any guidance on how to attach tops and backs to the zippers. Which side sholud get the loopers (the one the unravels)? Zippers stitched on top? Should I remove the second needle on the serger? Anyone have any photos? I would greatly appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks!

Tina

Guest Linda S

I don't use a serger, Tina, so I'm not sure I can answer your questions. I have an antique chainstitch machine that I use to attach my quilts and backings to the zippers. I start in the middle and stitch out to the sides, so half of the stitching is with the loopy side up and half with the loopy side down. I don't think it really matters. I have the quilt top and that backings on top of the zippers, as they go on the machine. I think that is just personal preference for me too. Either one will work!

Linda

Linda,

I did my first quilt on my zippers and had a dickens of a time getting the zippers stitched to the top and back with my chain stitch machine. I guess because the feed dogs were holding onto the zipper part and the top was feeding through faster (I spot pinned to the zipper). I ended up with the top moving as I went, like shifting. Please tell me you understand what I am trying to say, cause I feel like I am getting in deeper and deeper trying to explain. Anyway, after the quilt was loaded, and I had worked my way toward the bottom I noticed it was extreemly dog eared. So I took the chain stitch out and just basted the edge to the sandwich.

I say all of that to say, "Do you ever have that problem??" What do I need to do to fix it?

I am loading another one today and want to make sure I am doing it right. I love working without those blasted pins...

Ya notice I have not posted pictures of my fingers lately:D

I use the chain stitch on my serger all the time, but I have the zippers sewn to a short leader (about 5") first. I measure the size the quilt should be and put a pin at each end of leader, then I spot pin about every 12inches to the quilt and sew with the leader on top. If the quilt border is a little full, which from my previous posts on full borders, you all know I encounter sometimes, it?s easier to work in this way. If this is all a fog, let me know and tomorrow is my day off so I will take some photos.

Can anyone tell me why my computer suddenly changes to the french ? instead of an apostrophy, It?s most annoying! :(:(:(

Guest Linda S

It may depend on the pressure your presser foot has on your zipper and fabric as it goes through. When I first got my zippers, I basted things to the zippers with my regular sewing machine. I had the stretched problem then. Now it sticks out maybe 1/4", but when I get to the bottom, I always remove the chain stitching from the quilt top, and then baste around the edge. You would never want to quilt all the way to the zipper. You might end up quilting the zipper into the quilt sandwich. By the way, the only place I pin my backing or quilt top to the zipper is at the center. Then I just stitch out to each side.

Linda

Thanks for the info.

Phyllis, what fabric are the leaders you put on your zipper? I think that's a great idea...it might solve the problem that Mary Beth is having too.

Also, Phyllis, I think that you can fix the apostrophe problem by going to Control Panel/Options, then to Edit Profile, scroll down and make sure the language is English. Good Luck!

I'll let you know how it works out with my zippers. I still have 2 more to sew onto the machine, but it is going just fine. I just have to wait until my little guys go down for their nap, because I have to concentrate.

Thanks again!

Tina

Thanks for the help with my apostrophy problem. My keyboard came with my computer which I purchased just over a year ago, here in Canada. I've checked my language settings and it is set for Canadian English, I might change it to USA English and see if that does the trick. It doesn't always happen, as it hasn't now, so it's very frustrating when it suddenly changes.

The fabric I made the short leaders with to attach my zippers to, I just cut off about 6" from the leaders on my machine, finished it neatly on the serger and then sewed the zippers on.

I haven't been able to get Touch & Sew to do a chain stitch, but I'm determined to eliminate those darn pins. I've just been using my domestic machine on a zigzag stitch. I have adjusted the width & length of the stitch to make the stitch as wide and long as possible. It isn't as convenient as the chainstitch, but I can have the zippers off in five minutes by running my scissor blade the length of the zipper snipping the left thread on the zigzag. Right thread will work two. It will pretty much just come apart.

I put a leader on my zippers, too. I took muslin and cut it eight inches wide and the length of my bars (I pieced the length). I pressed the muslin in half and sewed the edges together (now its about 3 inches wide by the length of the bars; 8/2=4 & 4-(2x1/2)=3). Then I sewed the muslin onto the zippers that I attach to the backing. It is so much easier to attach that muslin to the backing with my differential foot than to try to attach the zipper to the backing with the zipper foot. Also, it gives you extra room to maneuver the machine without getting it hungup on the zipper.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

www.myheartlandquilts.com

Mary Beth,

Is that little thread guide that clips onto the front terribly important? We bought a T&S on ebay that came with the special bobbin cover, plate, etc but it didn't have that thread guide. It looks fairly unimportant to me but we have yet to have time to mess with the machine to set it up yet. Should I order one? Any ideas where to get that special piece?

Thanks,

Justin

www.patchworkmemories.com

Justin,

Not sure if that thread guide is needed or not, just assumed it was for tension purposes. I will look at my manual when I get home and see what it says.

As for finding that part, you might check with a sewing machine repair store in your area. My store looked at me like I had a screw loose when I was looking for that machine. But I think they may be able to get you the part. My first thought is to contact one of these guys that tinker with sewing machine repair in their garages. I have the email address of a guy in my area - he ships machine and parts all over the US. Very nice guy, and I think he would deal fairly. He told me that he had a few of the Touch and Sews and spare parts - even a part that does binding.....let me know if you need his email address.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheryl,

I don't know why...but that is a good question. I think it is because chain stitch is just not in demand for "domestic divas". There is a toy machine - not sure of the name or the price or if you can even find it - cause I looked when I was looking for a chain stitch machine. I only have my Janome, a surger that I never use, of course my Millie and now my Touch and Sew. Although I only use it for attaching zippered leaders to the quilt, I can tell you it has been well worth the $50 I paid for it and all I use it for is the chain stitch. I think you could just use a big zig zag on a machine you already have, then just clip the threads. I don't think everyone has a machine that can chain stitch.

• 3 weeks later...

Gardenslug,

A Touch and Sew sewing machine is a domestic machine made by Singer in the '60's and '70's. I remember them from my Home Economics classes in the '70's. They usually have a drop in bobbin that is self winding - it winds in the bobbin case. To use the chain stitch feature you will use a special throat plate that comes with the machine, and a little metal plate that covers the bobbin. You only need the thread spool to do the chain stitch. I went on a search for one after I bought my zippers and found 2 my first weekend out. They were only a couple of blocks apart. One had all the parts, one did not. I opted for the one that did so I would not need to search for the rest of the parts. I paid $50, although I think I could have offered them less. They were asking $150.00 - I told them that was rediculous. I guess they agreed.

Guest Linda S

I haven't had trouble with my fabric stretching when I chain stitch to the zippers. I think it may have something to do with light tension on the feed dogs of my chainstitch machine. I have a Willcox & Gibbs.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Archived