DSM - Berninas?

I think most of the machines that do both embroidery and sewing are fine. I love my Bernina 440 and it does nice embroidery. I think the Bernina embroidery software is way over priced and they have different levels.

- I love my Brother Quattro, it does beautiful stitching and

embroidery. You can even use a tablet with it (6000D) to trace designs etc. The PE-Design software is great and easy to use.

- I have a Bernina 820 (no embroidery) and 440 (with embroidery). This machine is a "work horse".

- I have the Brother Quattro with embroidery

Brother PR-650 (6 needle embroidery machine)

Brother PR-1000 (10 needle embroidery machine)

I feel Brother makes the best embroidery machines but I'm partial. Babylock is the same machines but a little more expensive.

I have a Bernina 440QE that I love (no embroidery). Super machine. I traded in my 1530 for it. Loved my 1530 as well. I also inherited my mother's 1130 - it is an absolutely excellent machine. My little Pfaff died a few years ago - had also loved that machine. I also have a recently acquired Singer Featherweight 221 - bought that for nostalgic reasons. It is what I learned to sew on and used until I got married. It will be fun to work with this machine again.

I think if I purchased another machine it would be the Janhome 6600 or higher. Friends that have those just love them.

Yikes! I hate shopping for sewing machines. Cars are easier! I had such a headache by the time I was done. Between the sales people pushing the model they have a pallet-full of on "special" and the discontinued models "you can get for a good price" and the bashing the other brands. I hate it.

Then after narrowing it down, you learn Janome makes this for Bernina and Brothers are made by... and this is made by... and their software only works with theirs, you can't get stuff off the web and on and on! By the end, I did not know what machine I was really looking at. Then they say, buy this one now and if you do not like it, you can always trade it in for the bigger one.

I went thinking of two or three machines. Now, have no idea what to get. One or two machines?

Oh well!

Nothing I hate worse that a pushy salesperson. The person I worked for in Reno was many many things, BUT never pushy when it came to sewing machines. Now that you have the feel for the machines you can decide which you prefer. And I'd run if someone said if don't like it you can trade for a larger one. No thank you.

Amen to Lisa and Bonnie. Ya know if the dealer wouldn't have been so over bearing and pushy I may have not had the bad experiences that I've had with the Berninas. But I was naive and have learned much since then. I may learn to like my Bernina again - have too much invested in it plus all the dang feet and other stuff to make it worth my while to sell. But if I had to do it over again - I'd go with another brand. The little bit of time I do spent at the sewing machine and not on my long arm, I've been sewing on my Mega Quilter and am SO glad that I kept it when I sold the frame. It's a champ - does only a straight stich and does it well! By the way when I did take this machine to above said dealer to service it because they serviced all brands they "told" me that the quality of the machine wasn't there (in not so many nice words). Yes, I'm done with that dealer anymore.

The point is find a good dealer, try out machines YOU like and will use.!

It seems to me these dealers see you walking in and over sell you...a machine with way too many features you do not ask for, and will never have use for. That makes the machine way to complicated, you get frustrated, and do not use it. I have seen that with my LA customers many times. They get the top of the line because the salesman said it was the best and they have no clue how to use it - or even the need to use it.

The first dealer I had could not "diagnose" why my DSM (the 145) was intermittently looping on the bottom. First time I went, I told him the problem, second time I went, I brought a sample, third time I had the sample again. Of course, I was charged each time. Next, I found another dealer. He spent the time and said it was a burr, hidden way in the back. I have never had the same problem again!

Years ago, that first dealer had charged me for a problem that was a manufacturer-covered "recall" issue. I just learned about that at the show. I will never trust them again and will happily tell my story when asked for a dealer recommendation.

Honesty and fairness is so important in a dealer - or anyone, in my book!

Love this group...thank you all for your help. Stay tuned, in the next couple of weeks, I'll try them out and let you know how it goes.

Archived